Performance Filters - Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 AM

Default Performance Filters

Dear All,

I recently saw a commercial about performance K&N parts, I believe air and fuel filters is what they're selling. These parts supposedly add some HP and enhance the sound of the engine.

My questions are:

1. Will these parts increase the wear on the engine thereby reducing the lifespan?
2. Would you recommend this for a 2007 ML350?

Thanks and regards,
NSZ
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
1. Will these parts increase the wear on the engine thereby reducing the lifespan?
Very much, yes.
To increase airflow capacity you must either increase the filtering surface area or reduce filtering quality. Since K&N and other "cleanable" filters have a greatly reduced surface area compared to the stock paper filter, they must not filter well in order to flow air freely. If you hold a K&N up to your eyes, you can actually see through it!

Quote:
2. Would you recommend this for a 2007 ML350?
I would not recommend aftermarket "performance" air filters for any vehicle outside of a race-track.

Read here to see why they are so bad.
http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-26-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: website update
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Dear ED209,
if you love your ML, please don't do it.
It would be same thing as driving without filter. Just take your stock filter box off and see how nice the engine will sound, almost as a racing car and it will increase some hp.
YES, for No.1.
NO, for No.2.
I don't think K&N design engineers (if they even have any) are better then the ones working for Mercedes Benz.
I would stay away these jokes.
How can they add hp by diferent fuel filter? Your fuel rail has constant pressure of about55psi and I believe the fuel pressure regulator is build into your oem filter.
More air into manufold and your computer will atomatically supply more gas to keep same mixture ratio so throttle respond is there but I don't know about fuel economy.
Maybe other members who tried and use K&N product have different opinion.
Good luck.
Bernard
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 AM

Thanks gents for your replies...I do love my car and the last thing I wanna do is wear it out. Looking at the stats from the link provided and by your explanations I just realized how bad these filters could actually be for the car. Not to mention all the dirt buildup that could accumulate. Even if the issue WAS debatable, frankly its not worth the risk...

Thanks Again,
NSZ
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM

I thought that it was the oil that you treat the K&N air filters with that actually attracts the dirt to the filter element. I changed to a KN air filter in my 560SL with my mechanic's blessing (MB cert), but then again, I only drive it about 3-4,000 miles per year. Since mine is not a race engine that will be rebuilt frequently, I'm likely going to change back to the stock MB filter.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik560 View Post
I thought that it was the oil that you treat the K&N air filters with that actually attracts the dirt to the filter element.
Yes, thats why you can see though. It must have large pores for air to pass through since the cotton does nothing to filter debris any smaller than sand.

Thats also why it plugs up very quickly and requires frequent maintenance. It has a very small surface area, so the more dirt it actually catches the more holes are obstructed.

In the attached picture a stock VW paper filter is compared in surface area to a K&N replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Filters-kn_vs_oempaper_filter_area.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 AM

I must disagree with all the other replies before me. K&N filters will stop anything down to 3 microns. It is the oil that filters the air, not the gauze element on its own. In fact the dirtier the filter becomes, the better it filters. And it will always, anywhere, anytime outflow a stock paper filter. Lastly in response to the K & N filter being smaller, it actually has a larger surface area then the stock paper element due to the design of the pleats.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordes2000_MB_ML320 View Post
K&N filters will stop anything down to 3 microns.
False.
K&N 's own marketing states it filters down to only 5.5 microns, with an extremely poor 96% efficiency rating (the average paper filter is 98-99.5%)

Quote:
It is the oil that filters the air
False.
Oil does not filter air, it catches dirt that comes in contact with it. That is if the dirt's momentum is low enough not to escape the oil's grip and the friction of the air flowing past it isn't strong enough to pull the dirt out of the oil.

Quote:
not the gauze element on its own.
False.
The gauze is a screen, the very definition of a filter. It catches large particles and other objects that are too large and would otherwise have too much mass for oil to capture. This is why even oil bath filters have a mesh or foam material after the oil sump.

The holes in a filter are what allow fluid to flow through. Paper filters have millions of extremely small holes, K&N has a few thousand large holes. This is K&N's primary flaw. While the very large holes are what allows K&N to flow a lot of air, its also what makes it a **** poor air filter.

Quote:
In fact the dirtier the filter becomes, the better it filters.
And the FAR worse it flows air.
K&N "filters" actually become extremely restrictive as they become dirty, far more so than a paper filter with the same dirt load.

As stated in the above test, "The K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

Quote:
And it will always, anywhere, anytime outflow a stock paper filter.
Completely false.
A properly matched paper filter will outflow, out filter and outlive a K&N in any conditions.

Quote:
Lastly in response to the K & N filter being smaller, it actually has a larger surface area then the stock paper element due to the design of the pleats.
That is an outright lie.
Have you actually measured two of the same filters? Take a look at the picture attached and I dare you to attempt saying that last sentence again.

Its very clear you haven't even the slightest clue what you're talking about. Either you're a sales rep for K&N trying to push the same marketing lies that have been around for years or your just an ignorant fanboy.
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Filters-kn_vs_oempaper_filter_area.jpg  

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM

If K&N filters are the magic cure all giving
Better fuel economy
More Power
quicker acceleration
Longer engine life.
1,000,000 warranty (the filter and not the engine)

One has to wonder why major auto manufactures have not used K&N filters nor cloned them, since either way the cost would be the same. Certainly they have tried them.

Bill
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
If K&N filters are the magic cure all giving
Better fuel economy
More Power
quicker acceleration
Longer engine life.
1,000,000 warranty (the filter and not the engine)

One has to wonder why major auto manufactures have not used K&N filters nor cloned them, since either way the cost would be the same. Certainly they have tried them.

Bill
I can not agree with you more.