Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Performance Filters

Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Default Performance Filters

Dear All,

I recently saw a commercial about performance K&N parts, I believe air and fuel filters is what they're selling. These parts supposedly add some HP and enhance the sound of the engine.

My questions are:

1. Will these parts increase the wear on the engine thereby reducing the lifespan?
2. Would you recommend this for a 2007 ML350?

Thanks and regards,
NSZ

Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Dear ED209,
if you love your ML, please don't do it.
It would be same thing as driving without filter. Just take your stock filter box off and see how nice the engine will sound, almost as a racing car and it will increase some hp.
YES, for No.1.
NO, for No.2.
I don't think K&N design engineers (if they even have any) are better then the ones working for Mercedes Benz.
I would stay away these jokes.
How can they add hp by diferent fuel filter? Your fuel rail has constant pressure of about55psi and I believe the fuel pressure regulator is build into your oem filter.
More air into manufold and your computer will atomatically supply more gas to keep same mixture ratio so throttle respond is there but I don't know about fuel economy.
Maybe other members who tried and use K&N product have different opinion.
Good luck.
Bernard

Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks gents for your replies...I do love my car and the last thing I wanna do is wear it out. Looking at the stats from the link provided and by your explanations I just realized how bad these filters could actually be for the car. Not to mention all the dirt buildup that could accumulate. Even if the issue WAS debatable, frankly its not worth the risk...

Thanks Again,
NSZ

Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I thought that it was the oil that you treat the K&N air filters with that actually attracts the dirt to the filter element. I changed to a KN air filter in my 560SL with my mechanic's blessing (MB cert), but then again, I only drive it about 3-4,000 miles per year. Since mine is not a race engine that will be rebuilt frequently, I'm likely going to change back to the stock MB filter.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 AM

I must disagree with all the other replies before me. K&N filters will stop anything down to 3 microns. It is the oil that filters the air, not the gauze element on its own. In fact the dirtier the filter becomes, the better it filters. And it will always, anywhere, anytime outflow a stock paper filter. Lastly in response to the K & N filter being smaller, it actually has a larger surface area then the stock paper element due to the design of the pleats.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-09-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM

If K&N filters are the magic cure all giving
Better fuel economy
More Power
quicker acceleration
Longer engine life.
1,000,000 warranty (the filter and not the engine)

One has to wonder why major auto manufactures have not used K&N filters nor cloned them, since either way the cost would be the same. Certainly they have tried them.

Bill

Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bill F
If K&N filters are the magic cure all giving
Better fuel economy
More Power
quicker acceleration
Longer engine life.
1,000,000 warranty (the filter and not the engine)

One has to wonder why major auto manufactures have not used K&N filters nor cloned them, since either way the cost would be the same. Certainly they have tried them.

Bill
I can not agree with you more.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Default K&N on Dailr Ride? Hardly.

New to M-B and first forum post, and I realize this is an older thread but,,

I have restored BMW 2002's over the years and only once did I consider going to K&N filters for the so-called performance improvement. After about 2,000 miles, the inside of the filter was just about as dirty as the outside.

Figuring that dust on the inside would probably continue to migrate into the engine, I went back to the OEM approved units.

K&N may be desirable for off-road racing, etc., but I would hardly recommend them on one's daily ride.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

First post on this forum, and I'm glad I checked this. I was about to order a CAI or something for my 2009 ML350, but from the sounds of things that's not a good idea on this platform. I'm more well-versed in motorcycle performance, and the filter designs are radically different. K&N is the gold-standard in something like that, in a lot of ways, but apparently not the case in the world of MB. Whatever, saves me money. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2019, 05:20 PM

I happened to stumble across this topic and thought I would pitch in my 2 cents. I have a 2000 ml 430 w/ 135000 on the clock. I've owned it for 2 years and it is my daily / work vehicle. I don't tow or offroad it, except for the occasional light 2 track to a camp site for hunting. I love my ML except for the poor gas mileage. At 120,000 I did my own tune up, and I changed my air filter to a K&N stock replacement filter. This is not my first go around with K&N products. I did this due to long life of the product, simple maintenance every 50K miles. I did gain a nice bump in fuel mileage. I went from 11 city / 15 hwy. (avg) to 14 city / 17 hwy (avg) not huge increases but enough. also, I feel that there is a crisper throttle response, not a big power gain, but just a bit snappier. Also BTW: K&N does supply a lot of super car manufactures with their air filters. I think the reason you don't see them in mainstream cars is strictly cost. The current type that are used are being bought at pennies on the dollar as opposed to, even at bulk pricing K&N is not a cost effective product for mass production. (Just my opinion)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance Filters