Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Mercedes M Class
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Default ML 320 misfire on all cylinders

My ml320 OBD II engine code readings is showing misfire on all six cyllinders. I changed the plugs but still get the same readings. The car is actually running good but at times it will sputter and act like it does not want to accelerate but then will smooth out and run great. When it does not smooth out I just pull over and stop the engine and restart it which smooths it out and it runs fine again. Could this be some sensor malfunction that would cause this misfire effect on the engine???. All the engine codes show cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire etc. all the way to cylinder 6. Help me is you can and post your comments and experiences.

Thanks so much......
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM
1993 Mercedes-Benz 400-Class
My Garage

could be clogged exhaust cats
or bad air mass meter. even plug wires too.
did you erase codes after replacement of plugs and if so you need to rescan to make sure codes were erased

both are common problems

Jerry
Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 PM

sounds more like CATS blocked.....

NAZ
Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Please replace your cps crankshaft position sensor with OEM Bosch and you will see the results. Maybe you are taking your engine into higher RPM at the time of accelerations and this sensor can't keep up with providing correct signal. Then ECM will stop firing couple of cylinders with detected misfire and you have to restart your car to get it back to normal (all 6 cylinders). But your check engine will reset later by itself. Check your sensor, because there is two different connectors used, depends on your year. This should cost you about $50, a lot less then cat convertor.
I've ben in your situation, new plugs, coils, wires even injectors, all brand new and OEM.
Check older posts on CPS replacement.
I maybe wrong but this is the first and the most inexpensive step that you should take.

Bernard
2001 Chrysler Concorde 71K miles
1980 280SE EURO W126 156K miles 142mph top speed SOLD
1984 300D TURBO DIESEL W123 SOLD
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenz80 View Post
Please replace your cps crankshaft position sensor with OEM Bosch and you will see the results. Maybe you are taking your engine into higher RPM at the time of accelerations and this sensor can't keep up with providing correct signal. Then ECM will stop firing couple of cylinders with detected misfire and you have to restart your car to get it back to normal (all 6 cylinders). But your check engine will reset later by itself. Check your sensor, because there is two different connectors used, depends on your year. This should cost you about $50, a lot less then cat convertor.
I've ben in your situation, new plugs, coils, wires even injectors, all brand new and OEM.
Check older posts on CPS replacement.
I maybe wrong but this is the first and the most inexpensive step that you should take.

Bernard

Thanks, this sounds like very good advise. I shall take it and look for the Bosch CPS and install asap.... I'll let you know the results... Thanks so much again for your help and words of experience... BWR ( bwrumfel@yahoo.com)
Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Ml320

208k kms, having the same problem, misfires when cold runs great after the engine is hot. Also ESP, ABS, ETS, SRS warning lights comming up all in one day..any suggestions
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Try changing your CPS to fix the misfiring and stop light switch (brake pedal switch) for the warning lights, then reset them by turning steering wheel lock to lock (max. right to max. left) some times you have to turn them twice and all the lights should go off. Switch is about $10 and the sensor about $50.
Good luck,
Bernard
2001 Chrysler Concorde 71K miles
1980 280SE EURO W126 156K miles 142mph top speed SOLD
1984 300D TURBO DIESEL W123 SOLD
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Do you think same problem is when you get message "cylinder 6 misfire"?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Tags
2000, 2005, 320, 98, accelerate, benz, cps, cylinder, cylinders, install, make, mercedes, misfire, ml, ml320, run