Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML 270CDI Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Default ML 270CDI Transmission problem

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help!

I have a 2000 mdl ML 270 turbo diesel and the Auto transmission is free reving when changing between gears 3 and 4 and occasonaly goes into limp mode (stays in 2nd gear) when it does this if i turn off the engine and select park and start car again it comes out of limp home mode.
I have had it at the dealers and they have hooked it up to the dianostic machine but cant find a fault. They dont know where to start and sugest tranny will have to be pulled apart to find out whatys going on (sounds expensive).
Has anyone else experianced this problem in there ML and what was or could be the cause.

Hoping someone knows something about this, regards,
Scott

Old 05-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Default RE: ML 270CDI Transmission problem

ORIGINAL: fromcoyle

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help!

I have a 2000 mdl ML 270 turbo diesel and the Auto transmission is free reving when changing between gears 3 and 4 and occasonaly goes into limp mode (stays in 2nd gear) when it does this if i turn off the engine and select park and start car again it comes out of limp home mode.
I have had it at the dealers and they have hooked it up to the dianostic machine but cant find a fault. They dont know where to start and sugest tranny will have to be pulled apart to find out whatys going on (sounds expensive).
Has anyone else experianced this problem in there ML and what was or could be the cause.

Hoping someone knows something about this, regards,
Scott
How about checking the level of the tranny fluid? I don't think there is a dipstick, so you need to open up the trany fill plug and manually check the level. If over 50-60k miles, not bad to change it out for fresh fluid to see if that helps. Never drain the fluid until you have the fill plug removed first!!
Regards,'Jerry

Old 10-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Hi Please advise if you have managed to fix the issue. I am having the same problem with my C270 CDI (2002).

Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Hus

I got same problem my c270.
How did fix yours?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 AM

Hi Scott,

I'm having the same problem with my Ml320, could you tell me what was wrong with yours.
Thanks Arnold

Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Hi

I am having the same problem with my ML270,can you please advise

Cheers

Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 AM

hi does anyone know what is causing this problem as my ml seems to have the same
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Replaced the speed sensor in the transmission...This is a common problem... The part was 490 aud and one and half hour of labour.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

On older transmissions, I have heard that tranmission fluid can migrate up the control cable wiring harness and begin fouling up the tranmission computer. I am cosidering changing this cable asembly when i do my next trans fluid change as my Ml is 10 years old and has 161000 miles on it

I believe there is a TSB on this.

Jim in Phoenix

Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM

I have 99 ML320 and I've replaced my tranny by myself (it took 12 hrs. streight-whole Labor Day under the car) last year at 132k miles. The electric connectorfrom transmission to module was full of transmission fluid and dirt. I used electric contact cleaner to wash the plug and compressed air to dry it a couple of times before it was nice and clean. The fluid is not a lifetime fill, as MB engineers planed. Need replacement as any other car so first, I would clean the electric connector and replace fluid/filter. Plus tranny has fault codes readout too to find out possible cause of failure.

I hadthe same problem, limp mode symptoms with 93 Dodge Intrepid transmission (copy of BMW tranny) it was speed sensor! There is two of them, one for input and one for output speed. At 60k miles we paid $700 to dealer to fix it but the second time at 120k miles, I've replacedthem myself and cost $50 but they are external part of the tranny.
On ML all sensors are mounted inside of the transmission. Good luck with your MLs.

Quick Reply: ML 270CDI Transmission problem