Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Looking to Buy First Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Question Looking to Buy First Mercedes

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Mercedes so I wanted to ask those in the know.
I am trying to decide between the Lexus rx 450 or the Mercedes ML 350 (preferably diesel).
What i need to know is how reliable the ML's are, are there any trouble area's ( engine , transmission ,HVAC, ect) and real world MPG. I am a territory rep so obviously MPG and reliability are extremely important.
Thank you for your help!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM

I have own my 2014 ML350 for a little over 2 1/2 years, the only one issue is the temperature control, it is a little funky. If you turn on the air and set the temp **** to coldest, even if you turn off the air, the air will stay on for a while before it turns off. I talked to the service, they said that's normal, you have to crank the temp up for a little while and turn it down to turn off the air. But I think I have more intermittent problem than that as one time the heater did not come on even I cranked the temp up. That radio/everything unit is the weak point of the car. Other than that, it's been trouble free.

The battery in the key doesn't last, you need to change it every year. The steering is vague, the gas peddle is very touchy. Very quiet. I like it so far.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:05 PM

Welcome Normandy- I have owned my 2009 ML320 diesel for about a year now (my first Benz). It is probably the finest vehicle I have ever owned. Built like a swiss watch and the diesel gets excellent mileage (nearly 30 mpg highway). I am a builder and use it as my work vehicle, driving to projects all over the Boston area. I highly recommend buying from a reputable used Benz shop. I bought mine from a personally referred Benz place in Waltham, MA that specializes in repair and service of old/out of warranty Benzes. They had a complete history of the vehicle and know it top to bottom, inside and out. It's had a couple of electronic gremlins (sensors and the regular appearance of the Check Engine light) but other Benz owners I know have told me to expect such. I paid $17k and she had 80k miles on her. I consider that a deal and so have other Benz owners I know.
Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Normandy
Hello Everyone!

I am new to Mercedes so I wanted to ask those in the know.
I am trying to decide between the Lexus rx 450 or the Mercedes ML 350 (preferably diesel).
What i need to know is how reliable the ML's are, are there any trouble area's ( engine , transmission ,HVAC, ect) and real world MPG. I am a territory rep so obviously MPG and reliability are extremely important.
Thank you for your help!

If you're still looking at MBZ, what years are you looking at? W166 or older versions? If you're looking at a W163, check out the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on it - it'll give you a sense of what repairs are like. Best of luck!

Mercedes-Benz ML-Class W163 (1998-2003) Technical Articles – ML320 – Pelican Parts

-Dmitry