Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Ignition and Key - car thiks key still in ignition when withdrawn

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Default Ignition and Key - car thiks key still in ignition when withdrawn

I have a problem that I am sure others must have had with my 1998 ML320 - when the key is withdrawn from the ignition it used to make a little "click" and this would mean the car knows the key has been withdrawn - but recently the "click" only happens intermittenly (less and less) and when the key is withdrawn the car "beeps" and the doors will not lock with the fob. Is there an easy fix? It seems like the plunger that senses the key is not working or is sticky.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Ignition and Key - car thiks key still in ignition when withdrawn

OK - extensive research has now cmade me think that the ignition switch is faulty. Apparently it has a sensor which feels when the key is in the ignition, and it is worn out/getting stuck - so the car thinks the key is still in the ignition in position "0". Hence the beeping when the door opens, and the non-functioning of the remote locking mechanism. Anyone know if the replacement of the ignition switch is easy? I suspect that it is attached to the back of the ignition cylinder and that sounds like a mess to play with - but if anyone knows of an easy way to replace would be helpful.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Unhappy 2002 ml 320

I have the same problem now. When I remove the key from the ignition
it beeps until I close the door. Remote is completely disabled. Does anyone know how to fix this problem..??

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Have you tried squirting wd40, or similar, in the ignition switch?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Default Ignition won’t reconize key!!

Originally Posted by Myran
OK - extensive research has now cmade me think that the ignition switch is faulty. Apparently it has a sensor which feels when the key is in the ignition, and it is worn out/getting stuck - so the car thinks the key is still in the ignition in position "0". Hence the beeping when the door opens, and the non-functioning of the remote locking mechanism. Anyone know if the replacement of the ignition switch is easy? I suspect that it is attached to the back of the ignition cylinder and that sounds like a mess to play with - but if anyone knows of an easy way to replace would be helpful.
well having a even stranger problem my ignition won’t recognize my key but I was messing around with it the other day and I turned my wind shield wipers on while the key was out and then I put the key back in and it works !! So weird I also noticed that my car isn’t getting enough power from the battery my wipers sometimes won’t even work now but I hear the motor engaging do you think maybe I need to get a new battery and that might solve my key problem ?