Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

99 Ml320 tranny service

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Default 99 Ml320 tranny service

Over 100K and the time has come to perhaps service the transmission.Just bought a new filter kit for about$26(wow) but the ATF sells for $12/liter .WTF?I know that I will have to take a trip to the dealer to buy the service deepstick.Anybody here has done this on his own?can you drain the whole fluid?Any tips?Cheaper aproved ATF?I busted open the cap.Busting and braking things is something I`m really good at(LOL).Is something I won`t be able to do as well as the dealer?Do they hook it up to some sort of computer/machine?
Thank you

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 PM

As easy as oil change, but you have to remove the pan for filter replacement. Drain it through drain plug, remove pan, replace filter and reinstall pan. Remove plastic cover for torque convertor drain plug access, turn engine with harmonic balancer bolt till convertor drain plug is ligned up at the lowest point in the opening. Drain convertor, reinstall plug. Measure how much fluid you drained and replace it with same ammount as long as you had no fluid leak, you should have about 8-8.5 liters. Pour first 5 liters into tranny and start your engine up for about half a minute to refill your convertor with new fluid. Then add the rest of new fluid. I will not recommend any other fluid then OEM. I bought mine at The Brinson Company (MB part distributor supplier for dealerships, about $8 ea.) It's not too bad $100 for fluid change every 100,000 miles, is it? Chrysler Crossfire should be using same fluid and it may be cheeper. I bought dipstick much later on e-bay for $25 (MB dealer was asking $99 and Brinson $50 for OEM) just to check, my level was near max in operating temperature. Good luck! Bernard

Last edited by mbenz80; 02-25-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Thank you so much.That`s very helpfull information.You are right about the cost of the oil.I already ordered some OEM atf
Thanks once again

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM

on ur ml u won't find a drain plug on ur torque converter. u can rotate it all day long there is nothing on it. only the older transmissions have it which doesn't have the electronic plug on it and have the regular dipstick. ur gonna need about 3.5 liters only.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Hmmm,so how do I drain the whole amount?Looks like it takes 8 liters of ATF...
It`s a 99 ML 320.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM

I have '99 ML320 and the plug is there for sure. While you at it, check the electric connector to transmission and clean in with contact cleaner and clean blast of air. Mine was full of fluid. Star manual says that fluid can travel on those wires all the way to control module next to shifter and cose big problems.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Did the service today...Easy job.No shavings but oil was dirty as dirty can be.Didn`t look for TC drain since I`m planning to do a drain-refill in the summer.The shifting has greatly improved(no exageration).Feels like a new truck.Next is the transfercase.And BTW if you want to spend the money to buy the "service deepstick" it means you have too many of them.Scored a clutch cable from an old motorcycle.2.5-3" from the bottom at operating temp.Used the OEM "elecronic transmission fluid".
$300 in savings and a job well done
Peace

Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 PM

Good job Claudio! I've told you "Nothing to it". Next fluid change will be even easier.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM

I`ve had several german cars throughout the years and always had the feeling that every work i`ll do on them will be more complicated.However everytime I was done I said to myself"that was easy common sense".Heck,even my wife noticed the smoother ride.Hopefully she won`t want a new car soon.The new diesel I saw at the dealer is fricken nice doo.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Talking Transmission service

This is called full transmission service DIY in your own garage. One whole day under it and you are back on the road! One man (owner) operation.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Ml320 tranny service-ml-tran-repair.jpg   99 Ml320 tranny service-dsc00134.jpg   99 Ml320 tranny service-dsc00133.jpg   99 Ml320 tranny service-ml-tranny.jpg  

Quick Reply: 99 Ml320 tranny service