Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2003 ML350 70K miles started making a humming racing noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Z
Default 2003 ML350 70K miles started making a humming racing noise

Hi
This 2003 ML350 with 70K miles, started show some issues lately which may all be related. Just wanted to know any body in the forum has seen these:

First about 3-4 months ago, when the car is started first time in the morning or after a longer idle time, it creates a prettty audible ringing noise from the front left side. The noise usually goes away by it self after few minutes, or after trying mutiple start operation. The sound almost seems like coming from a relay or similar and its from the relay fuse box that is under the hood at the driver side. I never really tried to isolate which relay it might be (my fault and lazyness) I was planning to take the car for checkout if the sound stays on permanently.

Then since last week, it seems like during start the noise was not there or less predictable, but I started to see another issue where the car ismaking a humming (racing)noise during pick up at low speed, or idle condition after statrted. This agian happnes mostly when the car is started for the first time after a long gap. The car howvere runs fine as befre still now andthere is no pick up issue. On top of this I also statrted to heara frictional noise coming from the left side suspension area mostly when thebrake is engaged. The pads of this car has been changed recently but not the rotor (still the original)

Any body has any clue?

I am assuming for aa bad relay, it canlead to malfunction some other component

any tips will be helpful before I take it to the dealership...

Rgerads,
Z

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Z
Default RE: 2003 ML350 70K miles started making a humming racing noise

I took the car to the dealership to checkout those problems.

The sound and the humming noise were coming from a leaking power steering resrrvoir and low fuild level. After they replaced the reservoir and fluid, that seems like got fixed. Around $190.

Theringing noise at start up was diagnost to be coming from a fan that under the dash to keep the relays cooler. This seem to be a common problem and that fan just get bad in some model. I would have cost me $220, to replace the control module fan. I did not do it in this trip since it runs fine after a while and th technitian also told me its not going to do any harm. Let see.

just thought these info may be useful to some other ML owner..

happy new year to all!

Z

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

I think my power steering pump on my ML320 (2000) is going bad. After warm up at about 1000 to 1200 RMP I hear a whining noise. The hose blew off 8 years ago and the dealer replaced the clamp. Any thoughts?