Mercedes G and GL Class Mercedes G500 and GL450 SUV.

Planning a road trip to Alaska, on GL450

Old 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Default Planning a road trip to Alaska, on GL450

Hello, I am brand new here. I bought this 2011 GL450 six months before and had a wonderful road trip from Texas to California. Now I am planning to visit Alaska in summer 2015 and thinking about the possibility/probability of driving my GL across the continent.

I've been driving in Alaska last winter so am confident about the road conditions there. But I am not sure about Canada, nor my GL's reliability. Google Map shows the trip will be about 8k miles out and home. I am a little concerned about getting adequate service in Canada if my car breaks down, especially in the far Northern provinces.

I am not a hard-core survivalist but know a little about natural hazards and how to deal with them in the States. But again, Canada is a black hole to me right now.

So I will appreciate any suggestions, including "forget about it" and "go get a G-Class when you earn more money." Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 PM

I would not do it.

Although the roads may be in better condition than the winter, too many stones.

I guarantee you will have a broken or cracked windshield before the trip is up.

I don't know of anyone that escaped that one. Even my dumb son in law drove from Anchorage to DC in a beat up Toyota 4Runner.

I've done Anchorage to Fairbanks in a Chrysler Mini van. Can't tell you how hosed up the front end was from all the crap that we hit. In many places there was no pavement just two ruts in the road. We did that in August.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your advice. It sounds much worse to drive in summer than in winter in Alaska. I drove a Dodge Journey from Anchorage to Fairbanks last March on the icy road and was hit by quite few rocks. I will rethink my plan if I cannot get a shield or mesh outside my windshield and radiator.

BTW, I thought someone else posted something here like an advertisement, encouraging me to "just do it." Was it removed?