Mercedes G and GL Class Mercedes G500 and GL450 SUV.

Looking for advice on buying a new GL350 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Default Looking for advice on buying a new GL350 Bluetec

I will soon be in the market for a new car and we are considering replacing our GMC Yukon XL with the GL350 Bluetec.
We like our Yukon (I have had 2 Tahoes and another Yukon XL before this one), but I we would like to get something that gets better mileage.
I wanted to consider a diesel (I am on my 2nd Jetta TDI), so that left only the German SUVs -- X5, Toureg, Q7, and ML/R/GL. Coming from a Yukon XL, the only car that came close was the GL with the Q7 being a close second. We drove the Bluetec GL and my wife liked it.
Hopefully this forum has some GL owners who can comment on their cars -- please tell me what you like and don't like about your car, options, etc.
I would like to hear from diesel and gasoline owners since the body is the same. Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know what to expect from the 2012 model vs. 2011? I intend to lease for 3 to 4 years as we decide whether to buy it out at the end of the lease. I would not want to miss some great new feature coming out in 2012.
2. What options are good? I usually like to take the minimum -- on this car, I like package 1 plus heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. I don't like built-in navigation systems since they are usually overpriced and become obsolete quickly.
3. This car is made in Alabama -- does MB have a program where you can take delivery of your car right at the factory? Has anyone done that?
4. What would be a good lease deal on this car -- looking for between 36-48 months, minimal inception fees, 12K miles/year. I would drive more miles (it only makes sense in a diesel), but I would rather keep my lease payments low, then buy the car out at the end of the lease, so the lease-end mileage won't matter.
5. Does anyone have experience with any of the competing models that they might want to share?

Thanks,

-Ilya

Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
There is no such thing as a good lease.
Now that we got that out of the way, does anyone have any opinions on the options? Anyone seen the 2012 updates?

I spoke to a salesman a few months ago and he said that the GL production has been slowed or stopped due to the shortage of radios that are either made in or use parts that come from Japan. Is this still the case or have they restarted the radio production?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM

congraulations on your decision, you can rest in knowledge you've made best decision of purchasing a merc, a grand edition was unvieled earlier. if that's any help.