Mercedes G and GL Class Mercedes G500 and GL450 SUV.

GL450 Is a Low Ride :-/

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Exclamation GL450 Is a Low Ride :-/

So it seems as though I'm having the infamous air suspension problem

I am attempting to diagnose myself but if you guys (and gals if applicable) could help I would GREATLY appreciate it

In short............I park the car, both front shocks deflate to what I call "92 Acura Integra" status. It's ALL THE WAY down...to the point you can't see the top of the tire.

Then later I go to take off somewhere and it inflates fine when I jump in. Then after the first 4-5 miles...the front starts bouncing like a drifting car from Fast & Furious...UGH!!! If I push the "Raise" button to at least let it raise to regular height it says "Compressor Cooling Down" on the display.

Soooooo...what could be the problem?? I think if the shocks had a hole I would catch one side lower then the other, but that NEVER happens. It's always both. Any ideas?? I'm in NJ, and I'm planning to drive to Georgia next week...and I've GOT to get it addressed before then.

PLEASE HELP!!! :-/

Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM

front struts are probably leaking. also the rear bags leak also. if you don't fix them you Will need a new suspension pump too. ive done a ton of work on the GLs. and front struts, and the rear bags always leak. you probably need a new pump too.

Last edited by chassis221; 11-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by AndrewAdams211
So it seems as though I'm having the infamous air suspension problem

I am attempting to diagnose myself but if you guys (and gals if applicable) could help I would GREATLY appreciate it

In short............I park the car, both front shocks deflate to what I call "92 Acura Integra" status. It's ALL THE WAY down...to the point you can't see the top of the tire.

Then later I go to take off somewhere and it inflates fine when I jump in. Then after the first 4-5 miles...the front starts bouncing like a drifting car from Fast & Furious...UGH!!! If I push the "Raise" button to at least let it raise to regular height it says "Compressor Cooling Down" on the display.

Soooooo...what could be the problem?? I think if the shocks had a hole I would catch one side lower then the other, but that NEVER happens. It's always both. Any ideas?? I'm in NJ, and I'm planning to drive to Georgia next week...and I've GOT to get it addressed before then.

PLEASE HELP!!! :-/
I had the same simptoms, mercedes re aligned the suspension on the computor but missed the cause, I found it myself. Mercedes backup is the letdown of owning a mercedes.
Might have a cure, worth a look. inside the wheel wells on each side, front suspension are 2 sensors and under the rear suspension nearer the centre are another 2 sensors that adjust/monitor the ride height. they are connected at both ends to a plastic arm about 4 inches long, by ball joints. these rust up in the sockets and seize, causing the plasic arm to flex and not move the sensor arm. working the arms to and fro with a release/penetrating oil will release them; but only for a period. I have repaced mine, an easy if tedious job. the wheels have to come off the front and the rear is a flat on your back with the vehicle up on axle stands. you can feel the arms on the front by hand with the steering on full lock one way then the other, for the other side.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Default Question!!!

did you ever figure this out? I know it has been a long time, but i have the exact SAME issue.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 PM

Replace your bags, as posted... that’s most likely the issue. Try spraying a soap solution on the bags, see if you see bubbles.

These systems are pretty straightforward, compressor, lines, valve block and bags.