Mercedes G and GL Class Mercedes G500 and GL450 SUV.

GL320 Suspension Problem - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Default GL320 Suspension Problem - HELP!!

I have a 2008 GL320 CDI. Since I bought the vehicle new, each of the 3 sets of tires I have bought for it have had "cupping" or scalloped tires. I complained about this each time I ordered new tires from the dealership.

The car's handling is very soft-feels like driving a boat- and feels unstable going around corners.

Late last year they replaced two shocks but said the suspension otherwise was fine. I disagreed and took the car to a different dealership. The new dealership said the link rods had completely seized but the scalloping is due to something else.

If the car has been aligned, tires balanced and this is still a chronic problem could it actually by the seized link rods or what else....?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Default Dealership responds to suspension issues

Further info about the 08 GL320 CDI - in reviewing the service history, three shocks were replaced in 09!

The dealership is going to get the Mercedes rep to take the car out for a drive next Tuesday to check out the suspension issues and they will get back to me regarding options. Maybe they will have ideas as to what is causing the scalloping or cupping in tires.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Default GL320 Tires

We ended up getting rid of our drivability problems by getting rid of the whole Goodyear nightmare (runflats) that the vehicle came with and going with a 18 inch rim and Michelin combo that now rides/wears absolutely great.

>>NOTE>>the tire servicing facility really must have a Road Force tire balancing machine (usually made by Hunter, and there is a difference).

Kind of an extreem, but we were about to start hunting down the lemon laws due to unsat tire "issues".

Old 03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Angry GL320 CDI Suspension Problem

Unfortunately we do not have "lemon" laws here in Canada. We have a conflict resolution process which is run through CAMVAP.ca

Our 2008 GL320 CDI is fast approaching its 80,000km mark when the warranty runs out. Here is some of the service history for this car:
  • 3 shocks replaced
  • 2 computers replaced
  • both batteries replaced
  • link rods seized
  • main console replaced
  • rear windows repaired
  • driver window repaired
  • sensors faulty
  • scalloping on all sets of tires
  • rear hatch lock drained battery- took 3 mos to diagnose and fix while car lost power overnight
  • transmission clunking reported to MB in early 2009 and just diagnosed and fixed, apparently it was a programming problem

Mercedes has said there are no suspension problems now that they have fixed the seized link rods but they still cannot explain why all sets of tires have had to be replaced due to scalloping. The service technician said the shifting in the car felt like it was being hit from behind (clunking) and has now fixed it. Given the issues with the suspension and the transmission I have asked MB to extend the warranty at no charge. Needless to say we have experienced expense and inconvenience due to all the problems and we thought that would be a reasonable resolution. MB has refused.

I am VERY worried about keeping this car beyond warranty, as intended, given its history and I am VERY disappointed in MB for not resolving this to our satisfaction since we own two other MB cars and have been loyal customers.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Default What would be a fair offerr from MB to replace a 2008 GL320 lemon...

Since my last post we have continued to epxerience progblems with the 2008 GL. The main console was replaced, the wiring on the trailer connector had to be re-done, the rear computer was spitting out error codes, and now it won't accelerate and had to be driven in "limp home mode"...oh and the rear trunk hatch is malfuntioning again.

We asked that MB replace the vehicle before Christmas. The original purchase price of the vehicle was $85k incl tax. We also purchased an extended warranty for $4k which is transferable. It is a fully loaded SUV. Total was $89k for a vehicle loaded with problems and the cause of missed trips, added expenses, missed work and appointments etc.

I would like hear hear from other MB ownerrs as to what a fair offer from MB would be to replace the vehicle.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Default 2009 GL320 gone...

Originally Posted by eastcoastliz
I would like hear hear from other MB ownerrs as to what a fair offer from MB would be to replace the vehicle.
The last time ours stranded us (third time at least), and the day after it was flatbedded to the dealership and we were told they did a "software update" and we picked it up....

We took it to a local VW dealer who then proceded to take every liberty they possibly could to sexually assault my wife and myself and we ended up months without a car and never recieved the vehicle we originally ordered....we did get "some" restitution from the dealer for the whole attempted rip-off process (after going to corporate), but with the whole hassle and not getting the vehicle we wanted far exceeded the nuisance of the GL Benz....

Lesson(s) learned.....I NEVER buy another Volkswagen (Touareg) ever again,...ever...

And as comfortable as our 2009 GL320 was.....I wish I could get that engine in something else NOT made by Benz......great diesel....

In retrospect, I think one of the main problems with the vehicle is that it lacks ESDS shielding and ESD dissipation controls and this just wreaks havoc on the electronics installed in the primarily synthetic composition vehicle..my .02

If I were ever get another one, it's going to have some aircraft/ordinance grade grounding done on the chassis........

Last edited by muchsnow; 03-05-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: flow.....
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by eastcoastliz
Unfortunately we do not have "lemon" laws here in Canada. We have a conflict resolution process which is run through CAMVAP.ca

Our 2008 GL320 CDI is fast approaching its 80,000km mark when the warranty runs out. Here is some of the service history for this car:
  • 3 shocks replaced
  • 2 computers replaced
  • both batteries replaced
  • link rods seized
  • main console replaced
  • rear windows repaired
  • driver window repaired
  • sensors faulty
  • scalloping on all sets of tires
  • rear hatch lock drained battery- took 3 mos to diagnose and fix while car lost power overnight
  • transmission clunking reported to MB in early 2009 and just diagnosed and fixed, apparently it was a programming problem
Mercedes has said there are no suspension problems now that they have fixed the seized link rods but they still cannot explain why all sets of tires have had to be replaced due to scalloping. The service technician said the shifting in the car felt like it was being hit from behind (clunking) and has now fixed it. Given the issues with the suspension and the transmission I have asked MB to extend the warranty at no charge. Needless to say we have experienced expense and inconvenience due to all the problems and we thought that would be a reasonable resolution. MB has refused.

I am VERY worried about keeping this car beyond warranty, as intended, given its history and I am VERY disappointed in MB for not resolving this to our satisfaction since we own two other MB cars and have been loyal customers.

Have you had the 4matic drive system checked for fault codes on the computor, it might be a problem. heard that it is posible to connect the wrong brake line to the wrong wheel, from the factory, the system is tring to slow the wrong wheel. what is it like in snow and ice?

Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 AM

I just acquired a GL 320 Diesel, and the impression I have immediately (got it in January 2014) was that the suspensions are problematic. I drove it for just 130 miles and started hearing a hissing sound on the front driver's tyre side. Later on my mechanic comfirms that the front shock absorber has gone bad. Cost of replacing with a used one was $485. Is that the game with this vehicle, or can someone help me on a better way to avert this expensive repairs?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Default Urea granules for adblue

I bought a GL 320 Bluetec. But here in Africa, we have difficulty in getting the AdBlue solution to top up. Improting it is even more difficult.
After watching the video about the composition of the solution, I make mine at home using Ure a granules and water, and it works perfectly.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by yi6558@gmail.com
I bought a GL 320 Bluetec. But here in Africa, we have difficulty in getting the AdBlue solution to top up. Improting it is even more difficult.
After watching the video about the composition of the solution, I make mine at home using Ure a granules and water, and it works perfectly.
if youre using the bottles to fill the adblue, you screw them on the tank nozzle then press down on the bottle to fill the tank.