Mercedes G and GL Class Mercedes G500 and GL450 SUV.

G: Not just for Gangsters and NATO...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Default G: Not just for Gangsters and NATO...

Hello Group,

It is a privilege to be a new part of this informative and well layed-out forum devoted to MB. Ever since I was young I have been enthralled with the G-Wagen and consider the most modern variants to be, based on information available on the internet and some limited encounters with G owners, the most capable and relatively affordable SUV in the market today.

Would you kindly post some general considerations to a newbie considering the acquisition of a late-model G500? I would be interested to hear about general cost of ownership, reliability, and on-road and off-road driving characteristics... perhaps you could elaborate on how it tracks and handles around suburbia and on the highway. What are the stock spring rates like? How firm is the ride, and how compliant is the beast in low speed and high speed turns and sweepers? What are some common maintenance challenges to be aware of before making a purchase?

I am not new to the 4X4 market, having owned a 1995 Range Rover County and a 1991 Mitsubishi Montero. Both vehicles were pleasant according to their respective capabilities, but I am really wanting to purchase a vehicle that will last me, with the proper preventative maintenace, at least 10-12 years.

How is the interior build quality? Does the leather hold up well to normal wear and tear? What is the gas mileage like, although this is not very important to me. How does the stock sound system rate compared to other premium audio solutions on the market, such as infiniti or bose?

Having been researching the vehicle now for a limited time, I find that I can get a 2003-04 model for roughly $40k. Is this money, based on your total ownership experience, money well-spent? There are a lot of highly reliable and relatively genuine SUVs on the market for around that price (both new and used) such as a used Range Rover, used Land Cruiser, used Hummer H1.

Thank you for your input and I look forward to reading your replys!

Happily newbie,
Michael

[IMG]local://upfiles/11599/520DC1E1E13F489FBB5B6B045A282EEC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: G: Not just for Gangsters and NATO...

welcome .

Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would buy one but i cant see spending 40K on a car to go off-roading with though. U could build a Jeep that would do alot more for 40K but i dont have unlimited funds. If i did i would choose the G to go offroad with plus it has good onroad manners from what i understand. Personally i would rather just have that 91 Montero u had to go offroad with. And drive the G for trails or such.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Ain't nothing like having the feeling of a Mercedes interior while off roading.

Sometimes I don't even bother questioning the logic of human spending. It's like asking why people spend $120 on a pair of Timberlands while you can spend $40 on the same type of boot that sometimes last even longer. Or why $2,000 on a navigation system option while you can go to the store and buy one for $500 that has been proven to do the exact same thing with the exact same timing and graphic. Or why people spend $1 on a 20 once while you can get a two liter for the same price. Sometimes it's just best to leave it alone.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

I agree plus even as i was writing the post i did consider the fact of luxury while off-roading but wouldnt it suck if u had to get out for some reason and some how got covered in mud and then getting in ur clean luxury car. I have done true offroading and been glad i was not in a nice vehicle while doing it. But i have to admit i'll spend 40k on a luxury SUV and beat the hell out of it b4 i spend 40K on a piece of artwork or something like that. But if everyone had my opinon what fun would that be?

Old 04-08-2006, 06:41 PM

I, like you have come through ownership of several SUV's/4x4's/etc before purchasing my first w460 G-wagen.
I am now of the opinion, that G-owning is one of those things you just have to do once in life.
In fact, you haven't lived until you have done so.
Most people get hooked on them once they have had the first one.
And that says it all.
One of those phenomena which are not really explainable, they just happen!