Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zenon headlight

Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Default zenon headlight

Hi, I am new here, I need help & information about xenon headlight, My 320E 05 are non xenon headlight, it is possible to take xenon ballast from xenon headlight to install to my non xenon head light ? I saw some one selling broken xenon headlight on ebay that completed with transformer(ballast ) so I can just put the ballast in to my non xenon light any information how to install this will appreciate . I belive the model year 2003-2006 have same headlight for zenon & non zenon , but not with leveling system., & the model 2007 - up have different headlight ( the main head light have some kind of louve on top ). the one I saw on Ebay have 2 ballast box on it , some only have one , I dont know may be the one with 2 ballast are for separate igniter system.
if anyone can help posting the wiring diagram for this headlight?

thanks
uncle Tom.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Default RE: zenon headlight

I suggest that this is way more difficult than you make it sound.

Levelling is a legal requirement with Xenon in order to prevent dazzle to other drivers. this requires the leveliing system to be integrated with the CAN. Straigh forward but may need coding change which can only be done by an MB dealer.

Heat output from the Xenon bulb is very high and I would be surprised if different high temp materials were not used on the lamp housing.

Xenons (real) use very high voltage so you need to consider this risk whilst working on any such project.

The chances of the lamp housing being identical Halogen to Xenon is extremely unlikely. For instance the ballast system is "moulded" / mounted into the lamp housing.

If you do proceed your experience would be welcomed.

Stuart

Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 PM

thanks Stuart for your information,
I removed my headlight to see what actualy I have, I found this non xenon headlight, have 5 leg on the bottomof lamp housing , exactly where the ballast box located on zenon type headlight, that look like for screw in for ballast box, is this mean my headlight are same lamp housing for xenon headlight ? , the only problem probably the position of the xenon bulb will not in the center of the refrector/proyector lense that cause the light come out not right.because zenon bulb are longer then regular halogen bulb.
about the levelling system , I saw some of the zenon headlight on other car ( oem headlight on Z 35 infinity ) didn't have leveling system.? other problem are how to wireing this xenon ballast so the car computer will not detect the different so we don't need to reprogram ( as some after marker HID system claim will not effect the computer alarm) some of the guy on this forum mention to use relay to direct connect to battery power.
please advice.
Uncle tom

Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

Auto leveling is required in Europe not in the states.You cannot take hid and install them into halogen buckets with the lenses computed for halogen bulbs,the light comes out so poorly that you might as well strap a flashlight to your hood.
Depo lights taken apart properly and fitted with projector lenses have been a viable solution if you want to spend about $800 to build a set.
Otherwise read the article about retro fitting hid lamps by
www.danielsternlighting.com
If your car has the standard 4 H7 bulb system install 4 65 watt rally H7 bulbs from danielsternlighting and it will throw all the light you need without malfunction lamp warnings and without costing a large sum of money.
ohlord

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Hi Tom,
Can't offer any more help I'm afraid.
Suggest you buy from eBay or similar, a pair of genuine HID lamps from a wreck or similar.
Many offers from China / Taiwan etc.
You raise many of the issues that i pointed out.

Stuart

Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Thanks all for your advice & information, I decided to used 65 watt hallogen as Ohlord sugestion, actualy I prefer used original /OEM parts , that why I try to modified / used original HID ballast instead of after market HID kit again thank you for Stuart * Ohlord.
GBY
uncle tom

Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Xenon bulbs are EXPENSIVE to replace. I just replaced the left one in my 04 E500 and they charged me $270.00 for a bulb. I certainly would prefer the old good halogens.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM

HID bulbs are more cost effective. OEM HID bulbs avg $75-100 a pair if you shop. Or,
you can simply go to the dealer and easily 2x that price. If you're paying $270 per bulb
someone is seriously taking advantage of you (aka ripping you off).

Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Of course they are ripping me off, as usual. In the city where I live there is only one MB dealer. Is there other choice for xenon bulbs rather than OEMs?