Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Fan (Climate Control)

Old 02-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Default Whining Fan (Climate Control)

I get a soft whistle that can be annoying. I have to listen to CDs or radio to cover it up. Any solutions?

Old 02-28-2004, 03:27 PM

I had the same thing. The Alldata site said to check that there are no leaves or debris near the intake, but that wasn't it. If the whine is constant no matter what you select on the climate control, it's your blower motor. If it only appears when certain combinations are selected (mine was any time you selected front passenger footwell), then it will be the actuator for that vent. Until I get a nice summer day (and the radio/climate tools I got off ebay) to take the center console apart and go after the root of the problem, All I did was reach into that vent and disconnect the actuator arm (push it off sideways from the vent), then manually open the vent. For the duration of the winter season, I just don't select the passenger footwell, yet with the vent manually open, there is always heat there - and there is no noise until I can do a proper repair. Hope this helps, if not, or if you want more info or diagrams (W210) email me.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:33 PM

There is a small cooling fan in the dash that blows air on a chip for the cooling system. That whine drove me crazy. I even had to record it for the dealer.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:25 AM

Solved. I found out from another forum that I needed to pull out the glove box, and make sure the blower system behind it was closed (competely). I just screwed it tighter, and it went away. RELIEF!

Old 04-09-2004, 12:01 PM

</P>

Where are the directions to remove the glovebox?? I tried the search and couldn't find it??</P>

Old 04-09-2004, 01:16 PM

There are a couple of bolts, top and bottom, I think. If it does not come right out, it requires a bit of oomph. I was afraid I would break something at first, but not so.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:58 AM

Ah, the quiet.... I have lived with the whistleing high speed fan for about a year (since last major service). I removed the glovebox and found that the door to the filters was not seated properly - guess when they changed the filters they didn't put the cover back on correctly. I took it off, and re-fitted it and all of the whistleing is gone. Thanks everyone!!!</P>

</P>