Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E class problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Default E class problems...

Hallo all,

I am a Fiat Doblo owner, but I have very,very good friends who are being made unwell because they own a five year old E-Class estate. They bought it new.

It has broken down more times than I remember (Ok, three); with electronic cut-out problems which have left them stranded one two occasions. Also, the catalyst has needed replacing; the failed dashboard lights have had to be sorted; lots of other minor stuff, such as the outside temperature guage, has needed looking at; the tailgate struts apparently need replacing, and now, finally, the dealer has told them to bring it in so they can fix the rust on the tailgate under warranty. Yes, rust! They have only done 40,000 odd miles.

My friends are dear to me, and they truly hate this car. I am horrified.

Is this normal? I thought it was Fiats that rusted?

My Doblo has needed a new outlet pipe for the A/C condenser to stop it dripping on the carpet and a new rear wiper, to stop it scratching the glass, and I consider that enough in three years and 40,000 miles, thank you. Can a £36,000 luxury estate really be so crap? My car is worth about £4,500? Their rust-bucket is worth maybe £8,000. I paid £9,000, they paid £36,000. Please point out where the luxury lies, especially as my car is more comfortable, easy to park, easier to get into, and doesn't leave me worrying whether I'll make it to the end of my next journey?

I once dreamed of having a mercedes, but frankly, if the E-Class Estate is anything to go by I'd rather have a Toyota - or do it properly and have a beautiful Alfa, or another funky Fiat.

Sorry, but do you all have these sort of problems? Really; I am only slightly joking, but my friends are really very stressed and very angry. Is there hope? They have a socio-psychological need for a demonstrably luxurious car, poor things, and are thinking of an Audi next time.
Any ideas?

Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: E class problems...

Electrical problems run rampid with Mercedes and European cars in general. Unfortunately, your friends picked simply a bad car, if not a lemon. The car should be no means be rusting yet, even if parked outside in the weather. They may want to try a newer E-Class, reliability has jumped greatly.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM

Confession: I didn't realise this was an American site.

Thanks for the response.

My friends have always garaged their car. The rust was discovered by the dealer and is being dealt with.

I told them at the beginning to get the Diesel; better performance, better economy, better reliability and better resale. However , they thought it sounded "like a Diesel", which of course it does, from the outside - only.

I gather the new ones are supposed to be vastly improved, and I've said this, but I fear that when the time comes it will indeed be an Audi. A shame actually, as I like the new E.

Actually, their car is too large as well to tell the truth. They need something smaller for nipping in and out of town without worrying about parking. The best solution would be two small (think tiny) cars - one each - and just put up with the slight loss of capacity on their occasional long (eight hour) trips to Wales. Everything has to be a compromise. Unfortunately, any car even slightly unconventional- looking is also ruled out.

And don't forget, petrol here costs somethiong like $7.00 a gallon, so fuel bills are worth thinking about. The outcome to this small matter will be interesting...

Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 PM

I live in the UK and have driven Mercs for the last 12 years. Its a fact that the current models up until late 2006 frequently have electrical problems due to the over complex command communication systems they employ.
Bodywork rusting is a major problem on post 1995 models. I have known E class estates that have had new tailgates. 4 doors and 4 wings replaced under warranty and thats on one car. Fortunately Mercedes dealers are often able to get these repired f.o.c. where there is full MB dealer history. By comparison my previous 1989 230 E is virtually rust free. I recently sold a 1998 C 250 Diesel estate as the bodywork was going rusty almost everywhere and it was not covered under warranty due to gaps in the service history and its age. Both front wheel arches were rusty, rear tailgate and two doors. My 1989 car is in better condition even now! I doubt I will ever buy another Mercedes.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 PM

You better go with lexus if you get the cash..Toyota Honda if you want to save you pocket and your health.I had a honda , beaten up honda for two years ..It never given me proble....I was like everyone else..wants to drive MB....so far i spent over 14000 dollars fixing this and that....Iam gonna to wait to get my new job sell the piece of crap and get me TOYOTA matrix....ot lexus 250 IS.

DO NOT BUY MB>>>IF YOU want to go german get you a BMW