Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 mercedes E220 petrol wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Default 1995 mercedes E220 petrol wont start

for a few weeks now i have been having problems on and off with starting my car. It started off where the car sometimes would not start, i thought at first that it was the gear selecting getting stuck so would put the car in neutral and then back into park and this seemed to cure the problem....until the next time and the time after that etc. but now when it doesnt start, there is a buzzing sound and the rev counter jumps up to 6000rpm on the 2nd click of the ignition and then go to start it and it wont start. takes a few attempts usually and then it will start. and the buzzing will continue until i have driven a few hundred yards and it jumps up the gears and then it will stop. this doesnt happen everytime i get into the car but seems to occur at the most inoppurtune moments. mainly when i can really do without. I called the AA out once after attempting for 20 mins to get it started, needless to say that by the time they turned up, it started. He and the garage say that its one of them problems they can only diagnose wen the fault is occuring. i put in the garage for a whole day but they couldnt get it to happen. the only thing they found was a broken earth strap. anyone had the same prob or any ideas?

Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM

I finally have an answer to my own problem. The engine cut out twice today whilst driving so had to call the AA. problems are: the buzzing sound is a loose connection on the ECU. The air flow connection is overheating and the crank shaft selector is on its way out. am just waiting on a nice phone call from the garage to inform me of the cost

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Cool

I had a similar problem a few years ago... Turn ignition on and nothing except buzzing behind the gauge cluster and whacky readings from all the gauges. Would not turn over. Turned out to be corroded fuses in the fuse box. These caused the ignition cut-out in the security system to disable the starter. I figured out how to make a jumper on the relay(which is behind the instruments) to get the beast started and to the shop. The shop cleaned the fuse holders and replaced the fuses and the problem was resolved. Mechanic said it was a fairly common problem. I figured there was a major problem in the electrical, thankfully not. Good luck.