Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration in Drivetrain 2003 E500

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Default Vibration in Drivetrain 2003 E500

I have a strange vibration that only appears when climbing (the transmission is in D and has not down shifted). It feels like a straight shift in 5th gear trying to climb a steep hill. The car begins to shake or vibrate (not violently). I just replaced the tires and alignment (this was going on beefore). Finally went to the Dealer this past week and they replaced the transmission mounts they also checked fluid level. They said there was no burnt smell or metal in the fluid. It is still vibrating. The service manager says that it might be a rear axle. It seems to have gotten worse over the past 3 months. When the vibration starts I shift from D to 4th (it still vibrates) then to 3rd and it goes away.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Vibration in Drivetrain 2003 E500

Is this a rear wheel drive or a 4-matic? How many miles are on this car? Does the vibration seem to come from a particular area of the car and is it speed sensitive? You mention that when the tranny is in a lower gear that the ride is smoother. Have the gheebos or the center bearing been checked for wear? What happens when you put the car in neutral at speed? Have you noticed any "spotting" where you park the car? A differential will "whine" before it vibrates. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Given the limited info, I would suspect the flexible driveshaft couplings and/or the center support bearing. Have all that checked out. It's possible to be the rear axle but if so, it's pretty much trashed or at least has a bad input bearing-not likely. There is a seal there and it would be leaking like crazy in that event.

Your dealer should have been more intuitive...they're stringing you along for the; "Bring it in a half dozen times and we'll surely fix it.", routine-some $1,000+ later.

Kevin

Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM

63,000 miles (90% highway). No leaks or whine. Will have the driveshaft couplong checked & support bearing. What should I expect to pay for drive shaft couplings & support bearing replacement.On the interstate or hwyit doesnot hapen.It usualy happens when you are going about 40 miles per hour and suddenly start up a grade while the tranny is still in overdrive.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Sorry, don't know what to expect from a dealer, as I try to do all my own work.

Kevin

Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM

I have the same problem it started at 96,000 miles when I brought the car for the regular service at the dealer. They changed the transmission fluid andfilter for $500.00. The problem didn't go away, they tried to tell methat I need to pay $5,000 for a new transmission. I told them that in this case I will wait untill it falls apart. I had 2 different other mechanics check it and they told that it's not a transmission problem ( let alone they didn't fill it with enough fluid during the change ), but an engine problem. They are not sure what. They adviced me to bring it to a different dealer and have run a diagnostic, then the independent mechanic will do the job at a fraction of what the dealer charges.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM

yes, the dealer....

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM

in fact, quite the deal for the dealer

Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Sounds more like it is a "geebo" or a center mount bearing because it is occuring under load. The geebo is a rubber version of a universal joint and as it ages the rubber hardens and it stops flexing. It is located just to the rear center of the car. It is also symptimatic of a bad center bearing located next to the geebo. If the vibration occurs at certain "harmonic" points and then goes away it would eliminate transmission, motor, and differential(rear axle) conditions. Get the car on a lift and grab the drive shaft at the center bearing and push it up and down. Bet you have a bad center bearing/bad geebo. Replace them both. Should not be more than $400.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM

you need to find out if theres glycol in the transmission. you car might fall into the earlier cars with production date toward the end of 2002 into early 2003.where the radiators were allowing antifreeze into the transmission.your description of the 40mph accel with no upshift or downshift and a "shuddering" or "buzzzing" or "droning" sound as benz describes it is what throws a flag to me.

Quick Reply: Vibration in Drivetrain 2003 E500