Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS - Pass Airbag off malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Default SRS - Pass Airbag off malfunction

I've been searching forum after forum and haven't been able to determine: can you 'bypass' the sensor in the passenger seat that turns off the airbags?

I would like to bypass so that I can have the airbag on constantly. I have no need to turn it off..

99 E320 4matic
Thanks!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Default RE: SRS - Pass Airbag off malfunction

Hi,
Why do you want to do this?
Stuart

Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 PM

The airbag is currently off. There is a sensor in the passenger seat (located under the leather - pancake style sensor) that is malfunctioning. I would prefer not to pull the seat apart and replace.

I'm trying to see if there is a way to 'trick' the system so that my airbag will be on all of the time.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 AM

HELP

Has anyone figured this out. My sensor is bad and I'd rather bypass the sensor (keeping the airbag active) then replace it. To replace the sensor you need to take the seat out and remove the leather.

There must be a way to jump the connector with a resistor to keep the SRS lights off.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

difficult because the signal sent by the passenger seat occupied recognition sensor is via databus. not just by resistance or voltage.

and such signal is continously check by the airbag control unit every 2 seconds.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 AM

After some tinkering I've determined that the problem is the wire cracked where it was straped to the metal seat bottom. It was strapped tightly to a sharp metal edge which eventually cut the wires. I was able to cut and strip the wire although I only had a half inch sticking out. I soldered on extending wire, reconnected and the light went out.

It was very difficult to do since I was working under the seat with barely any slack. After I taped everything up, shaking the wires give me an intermittent light so I suspect I'll be doing it again pretty soon.

I'd still like to bypass the stupid thing and thanks to the clown that put the wire strap on so tight against a razor sharp edge

Old 05-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

i have encountered more of this case whenever a heavy person always sit on the passenger seat.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM

That makes sense. The wire comes straight down from the seat cushion and then is tightly strapped at a right angle to a hole in the metal seat bottom. When ever you sit down, the wire is pushed straight down putting pressure against the sharp edge of the seat bottom. The heavier the passenger, the more pressure and probably sooner the failure.

An annoying design oversight that probably has cost countless Mercedes owners big $$s. You have to remove the seat, disassemble and remove the leather to replace the sensor. I suspect it could easily cost $600.

Thanks for your response Sleepwalker. I've posted this question on 3 different boards and so far you're the only one that responded.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 AM

After continued problems with this. I ended up buying the part at BuyMBparts.com for $130 and went to an auto seat upholstery shop (RR Seats, Plainview,NY) and had it installed. It was not very expensive and they did it quickly. Light is off now.