Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with 722.6 tranny in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Default problems with 722.6 tranny in cold weather

i recently bought a 97 e420 (month or so ago) with 150k miles on it, and i initially noticed no problems. few days ago on a cold morning (27F) the car started normally i took a short trip and on my way back the transmission got stuck on third gear and would not upshift no mattet how much i revved it. I tried to manually shift the car or put it on N and back on D. it did go to neutral but when back on D it stayed on third gear. i stopped the car, turned off the ignition and turned it back on and it shifted fine. well if that wasn't weird enough, the next morning (just as cold) i drove the car and i noticed that the shift **** was hard to shift between D and 4, before it needed only a simple nudge. then after about 30 minuted of driving it would become significantly easier to move. the transmission was shifting fine at all gears though. i remenberd that that had happened the day before too. also on that same day when trying to back up the **** got stuck and it would not engage in reverse (it would move to the reverse position or park but would not engage). the car was still engaged in drive. then i forced the **** back to drive and i heard a pop originating from the top of the trans (no internally i think). from then on i could shift the trans in all positions and it engaged normally. So here is my delema! WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING TO MY CAR! i drove the car this morning and it drove fine, temperatures where in the high 40's. I'am speculating the the AT fluid is in desperate need to be changed. i don't have the updated service records for the car, so i don't know if the trans has been serviced before. any ideas! your help is greatly appreciated .