Indicator problems on an 02 E220 CDI - help! - Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums
Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Mercedes E Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Indicator problems on an 02 E220 CDI - help!

I have a 2002 E220 Cdi and it's developed a strange problem over the last few days.

The indicators on the passenger side won't turn off ( constant blinking) unless I switch on the drivers side.

The drivers side works fine, but when returned to nuetral the left ones come back on

All bulbs have been replaced - no change.. I have removed for the time being.

Any ideas????
Old 04-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Default RE: Indicator problems on an 02 E220 CDI - help!

I suspect water has got into the electric at some point. Vehicle history. Carwash? Had the car valetted? etc.
Flashers and other electrics on your car are digital.
Either the CAN which connects the various modules has a poor connection / or water in a connector or th LH (Fr or Rr) SAM (Signal Acquistion Module) has a similar type problem.
Digital electrics are not for the DIYer unless you like a challenge and understand how digital works.
Best route is to get the vehicle plugged into STAR diagnostics (MB Dealer) and observe codes (different scanner required to simple engine codes) and observe code.
Of course you COULD possibly save money by quessing which module or connector has the problem (the source of the problem could be ANY module...there are lots = 25+... plugged into the CAN or the CAN itself) and buying a new unit but this IS LIKELY to prove to be the more expensive route!!

Not sure of the location of the modules on your model but as a straight guess I'd look at the LH door/mirror control switch (I assume your controls are door mounted but may be wrong here)