Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a Mercedes as my first car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Default RE: I want a Mercedes as my first car

My experience is to stay away from the early 2000's era C class cars. They were made much better before the new body style came out but then you are getting into too much money. Since you are young, you will want a sportier looking MB as opposed to an older S class. Check out a 1992 or 1993 190e. They can be had for a few grand and you will need that small amount of extra money for maintenance anyway. At your price point you will have to pay for maintenance. A clean, well cared for 190e 2.6 is a quick and smooth car. This would bea good learner car. For about $7000 you can enter the W210 chassis lineup which covers the 1997-2001 E320. I'm partial to those but the entrance fee is a tad bit higher. A 1997-1998 CLK with over 100K on the clock can be had for about 7-10K but they again are just out of your reach. I'd go for something that can be had for about $2-3K with the understanding that you are going to learn about the car and how to maintain it. In a few years you will be ready to upgrade. It's addicting. The key is to find and build a relationship with a good MB independent mechanic. They can mean the difference between you keeping your MB or throwing in the towel and buying an invisible Camry. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM

In my opinion if my son or daughter was going to by a Mercedes as their first car I would ask the following before signing your name to anything. 1. You need to know EXACLTY how much you can afford to spend. How old are you and what will the incurance be?.(Untill then just keep looking for some good buys) 2. What type of driving do you do? 3. What is your lifestyle?(Family, girlfriend, single, Do you drive people around a lot and go out to clubs)- If so you will need an E or S. The final thing is to find your self a independant shop like stated above.(Stay away from the dealership)Use these procedures and you will find the perfect car that fits you.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Scuddog

My experience is to stay away from the early 2000's era C class cars. They were made much better before the new body style came out but then you are getting into too much money. Since you are young, you will want a sportier looking MB as opposed to an older S class. Check out a 1992 or 1993 190e. They can be had for a few grand and you will need that small amount of extra money for maintenance anyway. At your price point you will have to pay for maintenance. A clean, well cared for 190e 2.6 is a quick and smooth car. This would be a good learner car. For about $7000 you can enter the W210 chassis lineup which covers the 1997-2001 E320. I'm partial to those but the entrance fee is a tad bit higher. A 1997-1998 CLK with over 100K on the clock can be had for about 7-10K but they again are just out of your reach. I'd go for something that can be had for about $2-3K with the understanding that you are going to learn about the car and how to maintain it. In a few years you will be ready to upgrade. It's addicting. The key is to find and build a relationship with a good MB independent mechanic. They can mean the difference between you keeping your MB or throwing in the towel and buying an invisible Camry. Good luck.
Oh, I'd rather not have to pay for too much maintenance, what kind of things are we talking about and how much would it cost. The other cars I have been looking at our Audi's and Lexus, but I like the look of Mercedes better. Would one of these be a better choice?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM

It depends what year and modle Audi, Lexus, Mercedes you are comparing.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 PM

gPaul - A 1993 LS400 Lexus is a nice car. If you can find one with about 140K on the clock it should run you a few grand. As with any older car... be aware that you are trading off the maintenance bill with the monthly payment. You will always have one or the other. Consult your friends and family and then look inside yourself to see if you can really afford it. If you are young, as C280 pointed out... the insurance could potentially bury you. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: C280 SPORT

It depends what year and modle Audi, Lexus, Mercedes you are comparing.
I mean like an late 90's/early 2000's Mercedes C class or E320 versus the same year of an Audi A4 or A6.

Like here is an audi I have been looking at
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/902391396.html

I was also looking at a mercedes that the fender was messed up, and was wondering how much it would cost to have repaired or how hard it would be to do yourself?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/902768072.html

This is the one I'm talking about.