Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an 01 E320 AWD wagon - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Default Considering an 01 E320 AWD wagon - thoughts?

I'm looking toupgrade mywinter driver/summer hauler 2nd vehicle from an old SUV to a newer AWD wagon. In addition to general hauling, Iuse it to carry a 17-ft sea kayak in summer, plus bikes, and skis in winter, so an AWDsedan isn't really big enough. Our kids are grown so it's not a family car, just an all-purpose 2nd car. As such, I'd like to keep the price reasonable (preferably $12-15K).

I've driven a fewAudi allroads (2002-04), and they're very nice but pricey (most are in the $18-20K range and up). The Volvo XC 70 is also suitable, less $ for the same year and mileage as the allroad, but kind of boring. The Saab 9-5 wagons are roomy, reasonably dependable (I've ownedtwo 9-5 sedans), and there's plenty of them out there so the prices are good,but they'renot AWD. Finally I came to a localad for this:

2001 E3204Matic wagon,99K well-maintained miles (owned since 30K), all service records, Bose sound, 3rd seat, CD changer, garaged, clean Carfax, etc. Asking $12,900.

The miles are way higher than other cars I've driven, but the price reflects that. I don't know these cars at all, and I've searched for information and found a few reliability issues but nothing thatsaid "stay away". I accept that I will spend money throughout my ownership, it's the amount and frequency of shop visits that I wonder about. For comparison, I've been driving (don't laugh) an old Isuzu Rodeo that I bought 2 years ago from a seller moving out of state. It has 170K miles, I paid all of $2K for it, and because I chose one with many service records, lots of work others paid for prior to my buying it, it's paid off and then some. It's been in the shop exactly twice for a wheel bearing/strut replacement and a partial exhaust. I'd call that reliable! (but I'm really starting to dislike driving it - it's a truck).

I'd love to hear back on any suggestions ("Buy the Volvo!"), and/or recommendations. What should have been replaced on the E320 by now, major stuff? Does it have a timing belt that goes around 100K? Thoughts on the price? Are they fun to drive? (I will test driveone eventually)

Thanks in advance!
Gene

- 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT laser red
-1995 Isuzu Rodeo (aka "beater")

Used to own (backin the day when I had time to restore them)
- 1960 220 SE coupe 4-speed MTwhite w/black leather (sold)
- 1964 220 SE sedan 4-speed auto, gray with tan leather (traded for the 250S)
- 1967 250 S German model, 4-speed stick, elec. sunroof(sold after blowncrankshaft bearings)

Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned
Default RE: Considering an 01 E320 AWD wagon - thoughts?

No belt it has a timing chain,which if proper oil change intervals with the proper oil mobil1 0w40 were done will last for well over 150k miles.!2,900 is high 99's with low miles are in the low to mid 9k 00's in the 10k 01's in the 11's.Private party?get it inspected esp the 4 matic on that model.Minor things like window regulators which are a weak point can be replaced if they fail.Change the trans fluid and filter mb spec fluid only.Visit benzworld.org and mbworld.org for more info and benzworld.org w210 diy section for how to's.
inspect,inspect,inspect......
lots of wagons on the market so don't jump at the first one unless it is a real peach.

1999 E320 wagon owner.Great cars
even more room if you have a roof pod
ohlord

Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Default RE: Considering an 01 E320 AWD wagon - thoughts?

Thoroughly inspect the vehice or take it to an independent mechanic you trust for an inspection. Review the service records carefully. It should have received an A Service every 10-12K (or 1 year) and a B Service every other year. The price is reasonable (sounds like they will come down some) if it is in good condition cosmetically. That is nice paint and no damage to the interior. Mileage isn't too out of line for the year.

Ultimately buying a used car is a bit of a gamble. Sooner or later something will break even if the car has been trouble free from day one. You seem to understand that. In my opinion, these E320 wagons are a great little car and I don' think you would be disappointed.

And yeah, they're fun to drive!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Default Looking at the E320 wagon tomorrow

I spoke to the owner (a mechanic with his own small shop) and arranged to go see and drive it tomorrow. He's owned it for 4 years (since 30K) and has all receipts and records. Clean Carfax too. It needs nothing says he, tires replaced less than a year ago, brakes just done, garaged always. While under the orig warranty he needed to replace the two catalytic converters (I think that's what he said anyway), the speedometer display (bad pixels - new one's been fine since) and rear struts. He also said he replaced it with another one, a few years newer and way less miles. So that's an endorsement on its own I think. I'll report back what I find when I drive it.

Gene

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned
Default RE: Looking at the E320 wagon tomorrow

Get him down in price for $12,900 there are a bunch with less miles and well maintained also in the mid 10's
ohlord

Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Same car in mid-$10s?

I've been on Craigslist, Cars.com, kbb, and eBay (for comparison). I search on 100 miles radii. I have yet to find a 2000-02 E320 AWD wagon with under 100K miles for under $12K. 85-90% of the cars offered are by dealers, so that limits the bargains. The majority of what I've seen are 2000-02s with 90-110K miles for $12-15K. Can you show me otherwise? Thanks in advance...

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Default RE: Same car in mid-$10s?

Hi Gene -

Be sure to confirm on the Carfax report that he bought it 4 years ago. The DMV entries will show mileage. I know buying an auto mechanic's personal car sounds like a no brainer but I also know they end up with cars thru the mechanic's lien process. Maybe not a red flag but maybe a yellowish one. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Default Drove it today - nice ride

I had the chance to see and drive the wagon today. Outward appearance is excellent, with the expected stone chips on the nose paint, a few scuffs here and there, but with 100K I expected no less. The midnight blue is a superb color. It runs like the proverbial top, smooth and quiet, no undue noise or vibrations. The engine sound took me back to my years living in Europe (late 90s) when every taxi was an E-class of some sort. I must say, I really enjoyed the ride and the whole experience.

It lacks heated seats, which is too bad (since I'm in Mass.), but not a deal breaker. The driver has been the mechanic's wife and he appears to have fixed everything that ever went wrong. Mobil 1 synthetic every 4K miles too. Carfax confirms it's been with them for 3 years (I thought it was 4), 60K miles having been put on it during that time. Lots of highway driving in New England, it appears (she's a sales rep).

He said it'll need the 100K transmission service (how much is that anyway?) Otherwise, nothing else of import at the moment. I offered $11,500 (asking price $12,900), and they're thinking about it. Should know tonight if they (she) goes for it. Will let you know what happens.

Gene

Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Default RE: Drove it today - nice ride

DIY Transmission Service is about $140 for fluid and filter plus one time $75 for a dipstick tool. If the seller comes back with a higher counter offer, add the trans service into the deal. If you decide to buy, he can do it before you pick it up.

BTW, MB recommends 10-12K between oil changes with Mobil 1 Synthetic AND a fleece filter.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned
Default RE: Drove it today - nice ride

MB trans fluid only and I have dip stick for 30 bucks delivered.
ohlord

Quick Reply: Considering an 01 E320 AWD wagon - thoughts?