Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I improve gas mileage?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Default How can I improve gas mileage?

Are there any special filters or any suggestions on how to improve gas mileage for my E320? I currently get around 25-26hwy and 17-20city. Also, is premium fuel absolutely necessary or can I use the middle grade?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Default RE: How can I improve gas mileage?

I can get 33 and 22 but I 1. over inflate tires, 2. drive real gentle, 3. use prem. gas for more hydro content, 4. push the EC button as much as I can.

mark

Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM

Whoa! Regional.... what year do you have? Is it 4Matic? I'm apalled at the range you are getting. You should be getting about 24 city and 30 hwy. The only tips that I have are: Drive normally but not stately, use premium (several other posts on this particular subject will enlighten you as to the potential damage you could cause using regular fuel), use synthetic oil and change it regularly (6-8K depending on your conditions), keep your tires overinflated by about 1-2 lbs per tire, buy a K&N air filter with a lube/cleaning kit (you can get this at most auto stores or online - once you buy it, you need to "oil" it before installation - this will improve mileage and power as your engine will breathe easier. That's my basic stuff. If you want to go the distance you can change your diff fluid with a premium brand like Amsoil which could potentially reduce friction and extend the life of your rear diff as well. Finally, keep it clean - you do like the look don't you? Enjoy your ride. They are great cars. I'll be curious to see what someone else says about how to better your mileage. Remember, your car is a sporty car, not a sports car... big difference. I love my car on the interstate more than I do in the city.[8D]

Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM

you can't improve gas mileage over manufactures specs, just can't do it.other have tried and tried but usually are scams. just saw a mythbusters the other day on discovery where they went through several devices claiming to do it. none worked, in fact they said that the epa has tested something like 104 such claimed devices and only 4 did anything at all and even then it was less than 1 mpg. the rest actually worsened mpg plus voided warranties etc....the only way to improve mpg over your current is to maintain the car according to spec and get it back to what was when like new. tire pressure counts alot as well as how you drive as noted above.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 PM

actually, let me qualify that. you can improve mpg by removing weight. remove the spare tireand jack if you dare. anything to remove lbs. i just took the a/c compressor off my 325ic as the damn thing didn't work anymore anyway and who need ac in a vert to begin with and noticed a1 mpg difference within a week. plus the handling is better without dragging around this 40 pound piece of junk aroundin front of the front wheels anyway...just a thought...just like the airlines i reckon....

Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Cliff, I'm going to break it down for you... First off... I completely agree with you... you can't improve mileage with magical devices etc... but you can get the most out of your engine by properly maintaining it as you mentioned. Tires do count for a great deal of the mileage. My wife thinks that I'm nuts. Every time that I fill up, I get in the car, grab my cell phone and divide mileage by gallons...down to the third decimal. Every time I fill up the car until I get the pump to click off, then I hit it for another 2 seconds. That's it. Every time. The math doesn't lie. For the past two years here is the data. Worst City= 20.5 MPG, AVG Mixed city/hwy= 26.5, Best Mixed= 28, Best HWY=30.5 My numbers are consistent tank after tank. I routinely hit 85 on the interstate and drive moderately around town. Make your E run to the best of it's ability and it'll pay you back in fun and economy. I get better gas mileage than most of my co-workers who drive Hondas and smaller, lighter cars. Sucks being them. Enjoy you Benz Regional. It may take a little while to whip your new ride into shape.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM

i heard that for every psi your tires are underpressured you lose 1 mpg. i assume that means all 4 tires and have never tested but it makes a certain amount of sense to me to a degree

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Never really thought of it that way but I'm also assuming that means each tire is one lb under. Do you buy into the nitrogen gig? I see it more up north than I do back in Florida. I think it's a waste of money. Comments anyone?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 PM

my 300TE seems to get around 20 ave/mpg...seems a little low and i'm not sure it's up to spec..smells a little rich but this is my first MB, runs OKbut i aint got no money now to have this verified. I keep waiting for the state to make me come in for a pollution check...free diagnostics...i volunteered but, alas, they wouldn't allow me to be a good citizen...rats

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 AM

Gas mileage is down to several factors.

1. Driving style. This can easily make 10% difference but if you are already a smooth and economically minded driver you can't get an additional 10%!
Basically avoid braking. Anticipate the traffic ahead of you. It can be quite rewarding trying to drive without having to brake. Its a lot more difficult than you might think! This wastes energy as heat at the brake rotors. Avoid hard acceleration.
2. Ensure vehicle and engine are to manufacturers spec. This includes using the correct oils, filters etc. Tyre pressures are important as others have pointed out but so is the type of tyre. Many manufacturers make specific Eco tyres that have a different compromise of rolling resistance vs cornering capability vs life etc. Manufacturers use these Eco tyres (at least in Europe) in order to support their laboratory gas mileage data.
3. Turn the A/C OFF. i.e. The EC (Economy) light should be ON. This can make about 3% difference dependent upon temp setting etc.
4. Remove roof racks etc or anything that compromises the aerodynamic efficiency of the vehicle.
5. Keep you speed to circa 60 mph (where permitted). drag increases with speed.
6. Premium gas will give you slightly better gas mileage (engine can run with more spark advance) but the impact at your pocket is questionable. Premium costs more!

FYI weight impacts economy during acceleration. At steady speed (highway) it has little impact. Under these conditions aerodynamic efficiency and frontal cross sectional area play the key role. Vehicles like the S Class with a Cd of 0.26 and a frontal area that reduces at speed (car lowers itself) are excellent highway cruisers.

And get ready for gas prices to climb even higher!
Diesel is currently at up to 9.36USD per US Gallon here in the UK!!
The age of the 4 X 4 and large engines is coming to an end.

MB have recently announced their electric car programme with availability commencing 2010.
Hybrids are NOT the solution.
The key to electric vehicles is WEIGHT = (small) SIZE.
Fuel cells are still some way off due to infrastructure etc issues but will also be WEIGHT sensitive.

Get ready for a very different future.

Stuart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I improve gas mileage?