Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Check engine light

can you guys reccomend me a good scanner that hooks up to the laptop? or just any scanner that you would buy.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:03 AM

I use an Auterra.com software (DynoScan) which runs on my Palm. Very convenient and 100% robust. A little more expensive $200 than digimoto a $150. They also do PC version software.

Stuart

Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 AM

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak of some sort. You may want to check your fuel cap or those other components that go with your fuel system. An OBD scanner could tell you.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM

ok. just had it fixed at a repair shop last week and they had to replace something in the intake. it was $500 bucks! well now my MPG is better.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
HBZ

Hi Everyone,

I f anyone still reads this page, I have the following codes. Canyou help? I apprciate.

Thanks, HBZ:

DTC (Codes)
P0173, Fuel Trim Malfunction - (Bank 2)

DTC (Pending Codes)

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

P0303 Cylider 3 Misfire detected

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
HBZ

Hi Everyone.

I have a 2001 E320 with 82k on it. Recently, I am getting the check engine light on. I took it to AdvancedAuto and they read the codes for me. Here are the codse. Can anyone help:

DCT Codes:

P0173 - Fuel Trim Malfunction ( Bank 2)

DCT Pending Codes????????????????

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Old 09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Don't you guys ever read my posts,here and on mbworld.org and benzworld.org?Code reader $39 at harbor freight tools online or at one near by if in your area.The p0173 and p0170 are usually indicitive of the Mass air sensor,the guy above with the shop that replaced something in his intake for $500 was another victim of not checking forums first and trusting a shop not to screw him....MAF insert 127 bucks 10 minutes and a screw driver and anyone can r/r,i've talked ladies thru the job and not ever a problem.Get the scanner,learn to read the codes,post them on the 3 forums and never evr go to a shop first without checking here or above .
ohlord
germanstar.org for inserts and whole maf units autohausaz.com also for very reasonable parts.
One more thing never ignore the cel light,it's okay to drive the car,the cel is emisssion related,but only drive it and get the code and solve the problem.A cel for the maf(p0170-p0173 will not affect drivability in most cases,however the values it sends to the ecu will throw off the fuel curve and low and behold 6 months down the line instead of just a maf needing replacement,you have burned out a cat converter or two to the tune of A grand or more,Plus when it goes it takes out the secondary o2 sensors.Sh*t rolls down hill and in a benz that means one system bad can do in other systems.......heed the light
ohlord

Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

HBZ get the reader or have a store clear the codes,see if the light comes back on and what the new code says.You have a misfire on cyl 3,that would be the third cylinder back on the passenger side.Check that the wires are firmly pushed onto the plugs.Mass air sensor going bad will show a p0170 or p0173 one or both.So go to benzworld.org w210 forum and easier then me going thru it in detail ,look up my posts on maf sensor r/r or look in the diy section for a very nice write up with pics.Before you replace the maf ,it can be cleaned with special maf cleaner that works in some cases and is worth a try,before r/r the unit.Ask how if you cant find the diy..........
ohlord
easy to do,what year car?
Post a reply after you read those posts and I can tell you some more tips when you purchase the part.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 AM

I share Ohlord frustration.

99% MAF, MAF, MAF.

Stuart.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Banned

HBZ, woodridge va 8 miles from your house.Harbor freight tools,centek obd2 reader $39,instructions included,port under drivers dash behind little door.
read the codes, write them down,clear them,and get back to me for how to proceed.
ohlord
and before anybody asks about a/c problems after they already have gone to the dealer and gotten screwed,you can run your own onboard climate diagnostics,it's built into the car..........don't say I didn't tell you!

Quick Reply: Check engine light