Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this trans problem fixed

Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Default Anyone have this trans problem fixed

Hey everyone

Anyone have this problem fixed: transmission bucking at low speeds (5-10 mph), downshifting, upshifting hard, all at low speeds like in traffic? I’ve taken my car to the dealer several times for this problem, and they can never duplicate the problem always: complaint not verified had the dealer check for antifreeze contamination, claimed its ok. Had the dealer power flush trans and torque converter, replace fluid and filter, and the car is still bucking around etc. going back to the dealer Wednesday. This low speed crap is embarrassing and really getting on my nerves.

Last edited by nyclad; 11-20-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Default RE: Anyone have this trans problem fixed

I had the same problem with my 2005 E500. The dealship ended up replacing the transmission. They said they have had problems with my year doing that. At the time the car had less than 5k miles on it. Now about 15k miles it seems to be doing it again.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 AM

Antifreeze contamination? Why. How etc.Sure the trans was refilled with GENUINE MB trans fluid? MB's are very sensitive to the correct fluid.

Is this a random, once in a while, event or a regular situation. Under what (exact) conditions. Suggest the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem due to inadequate/inprecise problem definition.

i.e. Occurs every trip. Only only after overnight start. Presents I min after setting of level road. Holds 1st at 10mph etc. etc. leading to hard upshift or whatever....
PROBLEM DEFINITION is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in cases like this.

If the problem occurs during conditions somewhat similar to above then I would suggest that it is the Engine Management System EMS "managing" fuelling and transmission shifts until the engine meets certain criteria (i.e. Cats are up to temp) in order to avoid undue emmissions / meet legislation.

Stuart.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 AM

I have the same problem, dealer couldn’t find anything wrong
I also have a frequent brake pump going off
If you got to solution please let me know

Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 PM

My 2003 E320 is doing the exact same thing. I was not sure how to discribe it until I read your postings. I also have a pulsation in the electical system which makes the headlights pulsate and the a/c fan also pulse. What a mess and of course the dealer could not replicate the problem. I had an electrical malfunction alarm go off 4 times before I could get it to a dealer, but when you shut off the car it clears the malfuntion for some reason and MB can't pull it from the computer. Go figure!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned
Default The problem is

you purchased a W211
worst model in mb history.
03's were known for coolant leaks from the radiator getting into the merged trans fluid cooling.
Valeo radiators.
All you can do is find an indie shop and a good one. The dealer will have you spending the value of the car on that model and never get it right.
Brake pump might be a recall sbc had total failure issues.
I wish you well.
Never buy a w211.
But I guess you know that now.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:12 AM

still have the car, still have the problem ...

Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM

03-06 w211 e-class sucks. really. many many various issues. 07-09 is a fabulus car. apparently it took 3-4 years to get all the bugs worked out. transmission issues are frequent but can be resolved fairly easy. anyone that tells you they can not duplicate needs to go on a ride with you (which is what i do) to get an exact analisys of the issue if they can not figure it out themselves. if they do not then they probably don't care and you should find a new shop. transmission issues are mainly one of the following: transmission elec conn leaking, bad seals - electrics plate on top of valve body, (speed sensors and shift solinoids for trans) usually you will find and electrical fault code - valve bodies (this is were shift pressures are regulated). first and foremost I always recommend a transmission service (new filter and fluid) the fluid is supposed to be life time but in newer modles a 1 time service at 39,000MI is now part of the maintence schedule. as for coolant in the trans, this is mainly a c-class problem and is very rare. the valeo radiator has coolant. transmission and power steering fluid running through it to cool the fluids. the radiator has a bad internal casting which causes coolant to get into the trans fluid circut. this mainly causes a droning noise at 30-35mph when the torque converter lockup clutch activates. not really any shift issues with this. back to the original, when you do a new filter and fluid change i would hope the pan would be checked for metal. this is the only time the trans should be replaced. all mb transmissions can be rebuilt if clutches or planitary gears are worn. transmission replacment is expensive and should only be a last resort and only if you can prove that is the problem. as for brake pump (SBC) there are many issues and MB is now warrantying all SBC pumps to 100,000mi due the issues. if you have one of these pumps, (right side of engine compartment behind headlight will say SBC on pump) you should go to dealer and see if any software updates are available. I have updated these and i would say 1 of 3 will not take update and become unuseable. MB will warranty and you will get a new pump. (100,000mi or less) there is also a new suction hose with vibration dampener that can be installed to help muffle the noise when activated. the noise is normal and should not be any worry, it is just anoying. remember it is very important to flush your brake fluid every 2 years as required (US Service 9 in cluster)

Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Angry Radiator Fluid Leaks Into Transmission 2003 E500

I purchased my MB used about six months ago. I immediately noticed the "bucking" at low speeds usually in first gear and never thought anything of this being an issue. But now it bucks, and at higher speeds it makes a grinding noise when shifting gears.

I went to the MB dealership and after a few days of diagnosing, the told me it was the radiator that went bad and has leaked fluid into the transmission. Even though this is a known issue with MB, they refused to fix under warranty. I was smart enough to purchase an extended warranty with the car that covers the transmission, but this PLATINUM warranty does not cover the radiator. What's worse is that they will not cover the transmission if the problem was due to a pre-existing "uncovered" part (i.e. the radiator). Now they believe the problem was caught soon enough to save the transmission, but who during these times can afford to pay 2,500 for a new radiator and transmission flush.

I was laid off my job in April of this year and even though I'm on unemployment, I continued to pay this monthly warranty cost just in case of a major failure.

Can anyone make any suggestions of what I can do. Any lawsuits or attorneys currently pursuing a class action against MB? If so I'd love to be a part of this suit. This is my only source of transportation, and how can I find a job if I don't have my car.

Signed extremely upset with MB.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Did you ever get your car fixed? I have a 03'E500 It also bucks at low speeds, and it sometimes gives me the Stop too low warning. I just got this car and am having serious doubts. Its an awesome car but reading these point makes me shutter!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have this trans problem fixed