Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 E320 Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Default 96 E320 Electrical Problems

I just purchased a 96 E320 for an unbelievable deal. Here's the catch, all the windows not working, sunroof, turn signals, emergency flasher and seat adjustments. Everything else works like brand new, headlights, dome light, brake lights, etc. What could be the factor to all of these things to not function? Please advise before I take it to an independent repair shop.....Thank you

Old 05-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 E320 Electrical Problems

fuse?

Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Default RE: 96 E320 Electrical Problems

I'm not an expert ... but I've seen similar MB's in Frederick, MD private facility with exact situation you are describing. Seems a batch of new MBs were caught in a deluge and the cars were submerged in water for a short period of time. Cars were considered totaled and were being parted out to a designated facility .. PGA as I recall.

Many of the courtesy electric systems were shot, but the cars would start and run ok .. the poor things looked and were brand nwe .. I was shocked to see so many of them going to be cut up into parts and sold out in pieces. I inquired about buying one and I was told that sales were strictly prohibited by MBUSA and the cars were being followed into the chop shop by a MB rep.

I have heard of secondary sales of "drowned" used cars at fabulously low prices, where folks are not told about the drowning incident .. just that the car has too many electrical quirks, but it runs just fine .. just needs a dedicated guy to replace the quirky parts .. which is pretty much true .. I mean .. you have switches .. you have wiring harnesses and motors ... one of them has to be the problem .. but with dunking ..it could be all of them and then you are in a heap of trouble.

I hope your problem is fusing .. but I think you have a drowned car ... best of luck my friend.

c