Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 E320 transmission die after change fluid,wth ????

Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Angry 2003 E320 transmission die after change fluid,wth ????

Hi,this is my sad story about 2003 e 320w with 64 000 mile on it.I take my car to guy (who is working with mercedes dealer service FOR 12 YEARS) home-garage to replace oil pan gasket from transmission,beacouse i have small leak on oil pan gasket and have to be replace,so he did it with new fluid (cost me about 80 $ plus filter plus gasket). after he is done he take car for test ride about 2-3 mile and .....transmission die.!@#? Now i have to pay for new trasmission(or used) but to question is ..how transmission can die after just change transmission fluid?? I did not have any problems before about transmission(shifting) and is my responsbility to pay for trans or this guy who do maybe do some wrong..please give some advise and thx for any one.(P.S he told me the fluid and other parts is from mercedes only AND IS GONA COST ME A LITLE MORE THAN USUAL) but in the end i have to pay like 2100$ to repair trans.Also he told me the old fluid is so black and he found some shaving metal on filter and is just mater of time when this transmission is going to fail.

Last edited by akva; 03-29-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: new update
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM

If you take your car to a mechanic, when you drive away, it should be at least in as good condition as you drove in with! I doubt that he used OEM Mercedes parts, gasket, filter and 8L (qts.) of synthetic fluid. I would have it towed to MB dealer for diagnostics, they would tell if the parts and fluid are all original and have your good mechanic to pickup the tab for it, if he claimes to be Mercedes mechanic, I'm sure they will give him a discount at the dealership where he works or used to work! Sorry man.
Check my pictures in previous transmission post, I also do it all on my own in my little garage but you have to think what you are doing. Maybe it was still good for a nother 60,000 miles even with that little leak.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Im glad some one try to help me about this problem and advise me what to do.MBENZ80 thx for your advise and time, im gona try that and see what is gona hapen,then im gona post results from repair service.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Maybe he didn't plug all the way back in the big transmission electrical connector? The cable retainer is on one of the pan screws and if he had it removed with the plug, that could be simple fix. Have him check it out because it is hard to believe that even the cheapest AT fluit would work at least for a while. Plus, you have about 3L of fluid in converter and if he didn't drain it, it would mix with the new 5L and work for some time.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM

UPDATE. First time i tow my car to some mehanic about transmission(the guy who change oil he told me its trany problem)he check the car about electrical problem and nothing come up,then he told me its about engine some problem like engine seized(can't turn over) and he can't do nothing beacouse he is not sure what is the problem.Then i tow my car to dealer mercedes service and they chek the car again and they told me like engine and transmission need to be replace(cost about 12.000$) and i refuse of course, i bolive that is not the problem.Then i went to dealer(he call me) to check with them and to see what they think about my car.They push my car in to garage and they try to tell me the engine won't turn over and they dont bolive its electrical problem about this car,its something seized the engine(but the guy who change oil in engine,he took trany out and check the engine and he is able to turn over with hand),so now again i tow my car to my parking place beacouse i can't trust anyone of this guys.I try to start my car and nothing hapen just noise like ''CLICK''(from starter i gues)can't even crank,nothing. ANY IDEA WHOULD BE GOOD AND THANK FOR ADVICE.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Is there any advise what i should do about this problem,thx for any.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM

What do you mean the transmission died?? Does it not go into gear at all? Does it not shift?

The engine can be turned by hand and the starter goes click??

Hmmmm.... this maybe simple, but did you try putting in a new battery? If you have no juice (and your alternator happens to be weak), it will affect the operation of the engine, the transmission, starter, and just about everything else.

Also, make sure you have gas in the car too! Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Default thank you philip2003 for try to help me

Well i can shift in all gears but when i try to start car i heard just noise from from engine like bad starter or alternator(is not alow engine to crank)also today i try shift in neutral and turn engine buy pulley(located on time belt),no way to turn over.Also i try to shift in drive position and take off parking brake car just starting move back(LIKE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL ALREDY),same on backup shifting(on praking lot).I have recharged batery 2 day ago and is in full.Only thing is fuel is almost empty in gas tank,so im gona try now go to fill gas tank with fuel.Update coming soon and thank you a lot for advise. P.S.''The engine can be turned by hand and the starter goes click?? ''that is what mehanic told me when he remove trany from the car,meybe he not telling me a true(after that i just told him to put trany back on my car).

Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM

I have half tank of gas now in car and still same problem.This problem drive me crazy.later

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Same mehanic ask me to pay for used trany around 2000-3000$,should i have to pay for this problem or he is the responsible for that? I can't bolive it !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 E320 transmission die after change fluid,wth ????