Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 E430 Mass air flow sensor

Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Default 2000 E430 Mass air flow sensor

I took my 2000 E430 to the local dealer (stealer) in Alexandria, Va. for "A" service and brakes, and to check the AC. It has 105,000 miles. I get a call from the dealer saying that the mass air flow sensor has failed and will cost $750 to replace. After a little research to find out what this part is, I find the part for $179 OEM Bosch delivered and a guy who will install it for $75. I call back and explain that the car was running perfect, and they tell me with that mileage, it just went bad. So I order the part, and tell them not to do that the MAFS. When I pick up the car, expecting that some warning lights will be on and it will not run well till I get the work done, the service rep tells me that no lights are on, and that in a few days the computer may reset itself and I can get my emissions inspection done. WTF? I tell them they may have permanently lost a customer and leave. Today I e-mailed them and left a message with the service manager, no response. Now I have wasted time and money. Any action I can take?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2000 E430 Mass air flow sensor

Not clear as to whether they the dealer replaced the maf,or you did?or nobody has...
And no you won't get anywhere but frustationville complaining to the dealer.
Go take a nice long ride in the country,crank up some CD you really like and relax.
Whole maf for that price sounds like ebay?don't get it,cancle order.Germanstar insert 139.00 germanstar.net/210f.htm to your door.

if you want the whole unit they have it ,autohausaz has them also.$75 labor to install? it will take you even if you have never lifted a hood,15 minutes,a screw driver and a little elbow grease.Easy DIY for the first timer.
Get your codes read for free at autozone onMt. Vernon rd., or pep boys,see if it's showing a stored p0170 and p0173,clues to a faulty maf,if no codes are there and no light(CEL)is on ,the dealer was just trying to pump up the bill by saying with your miles that it was just time for one!They saw you coming and you were one of the lucky few that got away,good for you.
Just posted a story about a guy that paid $880.00 for dealer maf and clear codes,over on mbworld.org
Read the codes,maf's throw them real easy,gov restrictions are so stringent that they are very sensitive,you would not notice running issues most times with one that is dirty or just falling out of range.
Cool down,learn,and in the future remember that old adage about"fool me once,shame on you
(dealer),fool me twice shame on me.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
you can get your own code reader online or at a local harbor freigt tools for $39.00
I wholeheartedly recommend you get one ,it's cheap insurance even if you don't do your own shadetree repairs,at least you will learn what codes point to which things trip them,and you'll be armed with the info when you do have to take it to a shop.Find a good Indie shop if you're not going to do the repairs yourself.I think if you have the desire you can do most of the simple maint jobs yourself.
Time and monet are never wasted,if you look at it this way...they (the dealer)sent you to school and you learned the lesson.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

ohlord, thx so much for your info. The MAF has not been replaced as of now, but I have to get through emissions inspection and they hook it to the computer, so I will try that first. I have received the part got it from Importec in Dallas, http://importecparts.com/. Seems like a good outfit, I received the MAF in a day and a half, free shipping, no tax, $179.00. Appears to be brand new OEM Bosch part.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Good price ,looks oem! Now install it yourself!!!!
Get the codes read first at the autozone,avoid having a failed not ready from state emissions.They will also read the i/m codes that tell if all systems i.e. cats,o2,and other emm related items are ready to be tested,if they aren't you will not be able to get tested and they will tell you to go away and let it go thru several drive cycles.no codes no worry, i/m's ready no worry.
Get back to us with the readings,why waste a trip to state emm,if you can find out you are good to go before hand?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM

So I went to Autozone as suggested, got a p0100 code, MAF or VAF circuit malfunction. What is your suggestion, should I replace the MAF? If so, any advice on how to do so would be appreciated as I am a total neophyte but fairly smart and determined. But, I don't even know where the MAF is in the engine, lol. Thanks for your help so far, and I do have the MAF sensor.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

MAF circuit ,could be plug loose,at the maf or a bad maf,you have the new MAF so you might as well install it. First open the hood ...on the tube from the air cleaner box to the engine you will see the maf unit that looks like what you have in your box of the new MAF.....Remove air cleaner top,loosen the clips--then loosen the big ring clamps that hold the maf unit between the air cleaner body and the other tube.press in on the sides of the plug that goes into the maf on the little tabs and gently wiggle out the plug ,remove the old MAF.Reinstall the new MAF tighten clamps firm but not crushing firm,plug in the socket,close up the air cleaner box(might as well install a new filter(not K/N) and remove all tools from where you laid them on the drip rail etc. check your oil level while your in there .And go drive her for awhile,forgot if you had a CEL on or that code was just stored.IT will clear or autozone can erase it for you.
hope this helps,check back if any problems or I was not clear enough.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Lot more tips for the diy'er or the newbie over on MBWORLD.ORG look for me there.Or pm me there if you really feel like a fish out of water.Cell phones are free after 7 or something and Talk you thru it

Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM

OK, I will give it a try. Do I need to erase codes before or after install? I noticed that option on the code reader at autozone, but didn't erase. Thanks again, awesome advice.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

After,or if you drive it the ecm will adapt to the maf and after several drive cycles the light will go out.
good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Hi

ohlord is bang on the button BUT.....

before changing the MAF I would cancel the P0100 code and see if the code returns. Likely it will but I do not advise changing anything when there is not a clear repeatable reason to do so.

If the code returns (the CEL MAY take a few cycles before it illuminates after the code is set), change the MAF but ensure that the Part Number on the MAF sensor (you will need a special security Torx bit for your socket set. Low cost)...rather than the MAF assembly or MAF housing... is correct.

You got a good deal IF the sensor really is Bosch OE and NEW.

Assembly or just the sensor?

MB or Bosch poackaging?

Part Number on sensor. Pt number on pacjaging?

I'm just concerned that your part may not be what it appears. i.e Bosch housing with non Bosch sensor.

Good luck.

Stuart

Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

He has the new maf in hand so I figured replace it,he needs to make sure it's all plugged in, no frayed wires, fittings tight ,air box clamped down ,so I figured what the heck,just replace it.He has the whole unit and it looks legit oe part number B3130-161380 bosch # ,cheap,to bad my E320 on the same site is 239.00 get my inserts for 128 at germanstar when I work on friends cars.Forgot to tell him it could take up to 40 drive cycles for the code and stored codes to go away,so if your online Buddy ,get it erased,when you go to autozone or when you buy your own at harbor freight tools.
I am sure he appreciates your help,as do I...Haven't been on these forums long however I have 40 years of repairs to dozens of makes we have or had owned,so back up is always a great honor!
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 E430 Mass air flow sensor