Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Questions - Tranny Question, Rear Sunscreen Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Default 2 Questions - Tranny Question, Rear Sunscreen Question

Two questions:

Question 1:
1994 E420, 115,000 miles. This just started happening. When I start the car in the morning, it takes a very long time for the car to shift from one gear to the next, especially from out of first gear. Once the car warms up (after 15 - 20 minutes), shifting works as it should and all is fine. I hear a slightly different sound when the car is moving -- hard to describe (not loud or annoying, just a bit different from usual). I've kept tranny fluid in good shape. Maybe vacuum lines?

Question 2:
I have the rear sun shade. The frame is fine, raises and lowers OK. Seems the material has come away from the frame -- it's still stored at the base of the sun shade. The fabric has a steel rod that apparently fits into the sunshade frame some how at the top. Any experience in repairing these? Looks like once the fabric is reattached, it will work properly.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Default RE: 2 Questions - Tranny Question, Rear Sunscreen Question

Qestion #1: This is normal.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

15-20 minutes delayed shifting is too long. was it the same in summer too? next time you drop by the dealer, ask them to reset the adaptation value on shift pattern.

on the sunshade, you need to pull it out and let some good handyman do it.

welcome to the forum

Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 PM

If you go through the gears and then stop, then go though the gears and then stop, then go through the gears and then stop, and so on, it'll do the delayed shift for 15-20 minutes? That's about 20-40 times through the gears. Normally, it just does this for once or twice through the gears. Be sure it's abnormal before you take it to a dealer because they're going to charge you for checking it out even if it turns out to be normal.

The "different" noise may be the AIR pump. It makes a whining noise like a supercharger when the engine is cold.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 AM

Definately not "normal". The car didn't do this a week ago -- when I started it, it shifted normally as soon as I started it and placed it in gear. If I back off a bit on the gas, it will ease into gear. After 15 - 20 minutes, it shifts normally with no coaxing

Old 11-23-2005, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just spoke to my mechanic tonite and he mentioned a vacuum modulator? He'll look at it this weekend

Old 11-23-2005, 01:05 AM

I think both sleepwalker and I misunderstood your initial description of the problem. The way you described it, it sounded like the delayed shift feature at cold starts, which is normal. It's done to light the cat converters quicker. Doing it for 15-20 minutes would be not be normal, however.

When you talked with your mechanic you must have described a "slipping" shift. That is, it pauses in neutral for too long before shifting into the next gear. Adjusting the modulator pump may resolve such a problem, if the trans isn't toast. In this case, you need a simple and quick modulator pump adjustment or a new trans if the adjustment doesn't work.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

i was wrong. i thought it was an electronic transmission.