Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 E320 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Default 1996 E320 transmission problems

When my wife went to back out of the driveway this evening the car would barely go in reverse. Well it seems to engage but slips in reverse. We checked the oil and it smells bad. Any suggestion as to how to proceed. I figured the first thing to do is to drain the fluid and replace it. Then see what happens.
Thanks for the help!
Dean

Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: 1996 E320 transmission problems

No,

First check oil level is adequate. You don't park on an incline by any chance?

You will needto obtain a dispstick for the trans. If you look up Bazzle he recently published a design for the dipstick made from curtain wire. Not sure whether your trans type is the same as the one he gave details for.

Then you could try an oil change but I would get the diagnostic codes read with a scanner.

If the problem is ONLY reverese then likely a gear cluster brake band has worn out (mileage?) which will require a trans rebuild although of course it could be electrical control which is why I suggest reading the codes.

Stuart

Old 07-26-2007, 04:50 AM

I am a little confused as to why the requirement for the dipstick. It already has a dipstick since it is an automatic transmission.

Also rather than drop the oil pan does it make sense to pump the oil out with a drill pump and refilling.

The car has 200K on it and we had the tranny serviced about six months ago. Car ran perfectly unitil this recent issue.

How big of a job is it to replace the Tranny on this E320? Can it be accomplished in a driveway??

Dean

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Hi dean,

Many MB auto trans don't have a dipstick installed. the tube is therebut the top is sealed so as to prevent anybody other than an MB technician from tampering with the level. At least that is the idea.

If you don't drop the pan you won't observe ifthere is any debris present + you don't get to wipe the pan out and or change the filter.

Maybe the trans has failed so soon after repair becausde it wasn't a good and reliable repair?

replace on a drive. possible but certainly not the ideal way to change it.

Stuart.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM

All they did was replace the fluid and filter.

Dean

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM

OK.

The next question is whether the garage (MB dealer?) used GENUINE MB Trans oil!. MB trans are very sensitive to using the correct oil which is in some way different...smell, texture and of course PRICE!! Ordinary Dextron etc auto trans oil is not suitable. MB state the gearbox is "sealed for life". MB don't specific "life". Changing oil shouldn't cause a problem however even if unnecessary...so long as the correct oil is used. If not, I would suggest its best leaving the original oil.

However your car has done 200k so the chance of band wear isquite possible.

You state the trans oil filter was changed! It is just conceivable that it wasn't fitted correctly. If so this could "effectively" alter the fluid level. i.e. Part of pickup missing.

You didn't advise whether you park on an incline nor whether any codes are present.

Stuart.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 AM

I took the car in this AM. What I did find out was that my STBX wife sat in the car with the engine idling and AC on talking to a friend. There is a very slight incline in the driveway. Maybe 5 degrees.

I am concerned that the car got overheated since it was over 90 Degrees out that day.

Then trying to force it to go backwards after it was so hot probably didn't help the situation to be sure.

Yesterday when the car was cold the reverse worked perfectly and it shifted normally.

This morning when we got in it the car took 3 times to get into reverse.

I have it in the shop and am waiting for a response from mechanic. It feels like they have it diagnosed even before they open it up. Needs to be rebuilt.

I have a transmission firm telling me the cost is between $1,800 and $2,200 to fix. This firm stated a flat $2,200.

I may go get a second opinion. If Reverse is weak, would it make sense to nurse the car for awhile using only forward or can that make it worse? I figured that if I am going to get a core rebuilt tranny why not drive it until it stops. However the prices I have at this point is for the firm to rebuild the tranny and not just a complete tranny changeout. I used to own a 1985 300D and had the tranny die on that car. I was told it is always best to replace the entire tranny because if you only replace a portion of the unit there is a chance that something else will fail and the firm won't cover these under warranty.

Bad news. Pan was dropped and mechanic states there are parts and some rubber seals in the bottom of the pan.

Looks like it will be a rebuild!

Dean

Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
NAZ

no its notgonna make it wore in ur case u have a problem wiyh a sticky valve body actuator it as a very very tiny seal on it sounds like when its warm its loosin pressure,faulty seal its not a DIY JOB ITS A VERY VERY DIRTY JOB NOT NICE

Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Hello all,
What a great website.
I too have the problem of trans slipping in reverse only. Takes a while to engage. It seems to surge while in reverse under car, like a pressure problem or something. I have heard it could be the modulator, is this true? Another post said that it is onlt the reverse clutch disk that can be replaced. My question though is this possible without drooping trans and requiring a rebuild?
any help is very appreciated.
cameron twncam2@yahoo.com

Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Sorry guess I should give more details.
1996 e320, 125k miles
trans serviced Mb dealer at 98k
twncam2@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: 1996 E320 transmission problems