Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repliestwo questions I would be very thankful. 1

Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Default repliestwo questions I would be very thankful. 1

have posted a few questions and replies have been little or nil, am I asking such stupid questions that the tech guys are laughing? I am sure that it could be a factor as I am technically remiedial. But none the less trying. When I bought my 89 300te wagon it had no manual . I have sent away for the Mercedes bible as it looked like a good thing to have.

Anyway if someone could answer a few question I would be very thankful.1 fuel it says do not use r egular gas? Is that becuase at that year the octane was lower? 2 keeps stalling and is getting worse b ut starts right up I am taking it in theis week . FinnalyI drove home with fuel light on about 20 miles maybe
when i pulled in it stalled, i parked it went out later and would not start. went to gas station this am put two gallans reg in tank. It is on a slight angle leaning left to right . Is there a priming procedure i need to know about? Thanks I hope I get many replies, look foward to the help and many years on this forum.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Default RE: repliestwo questions I would be very thankful. 1

2 galls should be sufficient to start ON LEVEL GROUND.

Regular gas is not recommended but should not influence ability to start.

Stuart

Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Just a thought, running the gas tank down to the last few drops may have picked up some trash at the bottom of the tank and blocked the filter. You may try some starter fluid, squirt it in the air intake behind the grill, if it starts you know you have a fuel problem.

If so, a new fuel filter maybe in order. Good luck, Smedley

Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 PM
pjk

Resistance to detonation (knocking) is one of the compromises engine designers must make. When they determine the octane requirement of the engine it becomes one of the specifications.
There is no advantage to using fuel with a higher octane rating than specified but to use lower is risking engine damage.

The electric fuel pump is turned off for safety when the engine is not running except when the starting moter is being operated so the way to prime the pump and repressurize the fuel lines is to run the starter after putting fuel in the tank.

The fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel itself so running out of fuel should be avoided. If you should run out of fuel I would suppose that putting as much fuel into the tank as possible before attempting to start is a good plan to get help from gravity to prime the pump.

Phil

Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Many thanksto all who replied I put just about two gallons in her this am.As it was just 50 f degrees i wantied until the sun warmed up and went to start at 1200

the car was still tilted left to right turned key but did not tun to ignition put foot on gas waited and turned key off. sat for the two minuets tuned key and could hear she wanted to start again turn again no agin wait gain turn and than presto start reverse and rive to gas station for some amoco silver at 1.99 a gal,
still stalls from time to time anyone have an estimate when I take her in, I was told its a 60.00 adjustment! all the best from down in Isle of palms sc

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

I would guess a coolant temp sensor and some plugs...$25 for the plugs and $40 for the coolant sensor....easy to replace...should be less than $100 if you do it yourself...I would start there myself...good luck