Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"ABS/BAS/ESP Visit Workshop!"...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Default "ABS/BAS/ESP Visit Workshop!"...

We've had the 2002 E320T for about 7 weeks and the wife is getting real tired of visiting the workshop! I got the VMI for this car and it had no warranty claims against it until we bought it. [:@] Wife is not amused and I am running out of excuses. [:-] Warranty expired about 20 days ago. (Rust repair and trans serviced 4 weeks ago. Cat converts replaced two weeks ago. O2 sensor replaced last week.)

The dreaded message popped up: "ABS - Visit Workshop!'... BAS & ESP "Visit Workshop...

The warning messages disappeared later in the day, I have done as much reading as possible on this common condition and figured our original battery was growing weak and it was time to replace it. I swapped in another battery and the warning messages immediately reappeared. I did the steering wheels re-sync routine (full left then full right) and the warning messages all disappeared instantly.

Our brake lights are not sticking on but I have noticed there is virtually NO free travel of the brake pedal before the brake lights come on. Is this a concern? Is that switch adjustable? It seems like there should be a little free travel before turning the brake lights on.

I have added at least 1/2 a gallon of water to the battery since we've had the car. I noticed the level was way down when I checked it yesterday, much to my surprise. The battery displays no weakness and shows just under 13V sitting on my workbench. I had been planning on replacing it before winter arrived, probably should have it load tested. (Car was produced 3/2001, IIRC. In service date was late Aug 2001.)

Car is truly awesome otherwise. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Default RE: "ABS/BAS/ESP Visit Workshop!"...

MORE THAN LIKLY AN STOP LAMP SWITCH , CHEAP AND EASY . VISIT LOCAL DEALER AND INQUIRE ABOUT POSSILBE GOODWILL . SINCE WARRANTY RAN OUT 20 DAYS AGO . MOST DEALERS GIVE A LEAN PERIOD . HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Is that switch adjustable
yes. i have posted the procedure already.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:05 PM

Thanks, guys. No warning lights while driving today. I'm going for a new battery tomorrow and will check the brake light switch and attempt to perform the "adjustment" procedure. The switch looks very similar to the one used in VWs which has been the subject of a widespread recall. It's not a big deal to change it out if it's problematic. I think the VW part was $15, too.

Sleepwalker, is this what you mention above?

go under the driver's footwell panel and remove the cover from the top of pedals.

you will see a switch on top of brake pedal.

pull out those two wiring connectors.

press the locking lever on the side of the switch and twist the swicth out counter clockwise....about 1/4 turn.

hold that push rod and pull it all the way up.

install it back.
Thanks.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

yes. also got diagram on it.