Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

W209 CLK240 Electrical Problems SAM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Default W209 CLK240 Electrical Problems SAM?

Hi all,

I'm new here, so will start with a short introduction.

I'm trying to help a friend of mine fix his car, or at least identify the issues. I'm a keen enthusiast and have been around Mercedes Benz for many years. Have a pretty decent understanding of electronics and how the cars are put together etc.

So to the problem...... The car is a 2003 CLK240 cab. It was parked up for a while so all went flat. My friend put it on charge but when he came to start it there was still nothing, so he grabbed his booster pack and connected the leads... but unfortunately connected them the wrong way round.

The issues;
The car will start and drive, but it has a number of faults;
The rear lights are on constantly - the rear indicators are on solid, the fog light is on, the reverse lights are on, the central high mount brake light is on. Even with no key in the ignition or lights switched on. The battery has to be disconnected to turn them off.

The front lights are not on, but both front fogs are very dimmly flickering / pulsing, along with the front left side light.
The headlight washer pump is constantly running with the ignition switches on.

The Main beam indicator is constantly illuminated on the dash.

The wipers don't work

When the car is running the xenons seem to work and you can turn the front lights on properly, but the rears stay the same.

There are a few errors on the dash.

When the ignition is turned on he horns sound continually.

When the car is sat without the key in the ignition the headlight washer pump is very slightly pulsing on. Along with the pulsing front lights and constantly on rear lights.

Earlier I turned the ignition after I changed the illumination control module (N7/10??) the module made no difference but I did notice when I took the key out the dash was still all on with all the tell tales illuminated as if the ignition was turned on just before cranking.

I'm thinking it has fried something in the front SAM module but am not 100% sure. This also looks like a bit of a job to get out and replace. Have also read that second hand units could not be too successful as they may not match the car or need re programming again anyway?

Any thoughts gratefully welcomed,

Many Thanks, and sorry if the post doesn't read too well, I have had to do it on my phone.

Cheers
Adam