Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

rear headrests wont go down

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Default silver mercedes convertible

I have a 2005 mercedes clk55 amg. I drove over a bump and my flashers came on and rear "headrests" popped up (sounds like two metal pipes hitting each other). I read about using an allen wrench but anything long and no thicker than a pencil will work. If you look down below the headrest you will see the cavity is painted the car's body color. Luckily mine is silver and I could see a round hole cut in the metal. The hole is round and about 3/8" wide. Inside the hole is a black button. This is the illusive spring switch you are looking for! Press it down and have a friend help you hold the flashlight and push down as required. I registered just to make this post! Good luck.

p.s. I have the "headrest flop down" button on my dash but I have no clue what it does. In the sedan it makes the headrest all lay down simultaneously to improve visibility.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 AM

I have a 2003 w208 - is the reset button that you need to push to unlock the headrest latch the same as on the w209 i.e. down the left hand side of the headrests as i can't seem to find it.
I was able to push the headrests down manually when i got someone to push the headrest lower button on the dashboard and i can get them to click back into place but the roof won't lower and the boot won't unlock unless i do it manually.
as soon as i push the headrest button again they just pop back up.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Default how to lower clk convertible rear headrest

i have a 2007 clk convertible and the rear headrest deployed after i hit a pothole.. the owner's manuel said you could lower it if the top was down and if the top's up, need to take it to the dealer.. they wanted $100.00 just to check it out. here is what you do, you need a long screw driver or anything like it.. need to be about 10" long. if you are facing the headrest, you'll find two stitches on the right side, the driver's side, near the bottom of the headrest. this is where you'll insert your screw driver and try to push the button down so you can reset the headrest. if you move the headrest a bit, you can see the indent that you'll need to push down, (it's aprox. 1/2" x 3/8") . you need to push and hold it down and with your left hand and forearm, push the headrest all the way down and than pull the screw driver up and the headrest should lock and stay down..if not, you'll need to start over. took me three times to get the first one to stay but the second one is much easier. would be easy if you have two person doing it and one control the screw driver while the other push down the headrest.
once you reset the headrests, the top will work like before..

Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM

I have a 2004 CLK 320. I cannot seem to find the button below the stiches on the headrests. I have the TOP closed, so it is annoying to try to insert a screw and search for the button. anyone can post pics on how to do this?
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM

In the convertible, when some sits in the back seat with the roof down, they can lift up the rear head rests (grip on back) to act as a wind deflector, the only way to drop the head rests back down is to hit that button.

However when they auto-popup in an emergency, they raise past the normal point and lock, that button wont work once it is locked. That is when you need the rod to release the latch and at the same time push the head rest down.

"p.s. I have the "headrest flop down" button on my dash but I have no clue what it does."

Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Here is a good instruction video. Requires a little fishing but isn't hard.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Default Headrest on my 2005 CLK500 popped up on the rear passenger seat(driver side)

The rollover bar popped up on my rear set. I'm not sure why. I got it to go down by pressing the button on the dash. The button has a headrest symbol. I pressed it once and the headrest dropped

Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 AM

Hi NAZ,
I was just curious if the same method will work on a 2002 CLK 55 AMG. My rear headrests don't have a seam on them to find and I cant find anything to help with my model of vehicle.
Thanks,
-Python

Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Default Engage head rests

Hit a curb, and head rests locked up on my clk350.
Easy solution. On the drivers of each rear head rest. Using a flashlight, and a medal barbecue skewer.
simply find the small hole, and insert the skewer. While inserting the skewer. Press the headrest down.
repeat on other side.
Note: the small hole is in between the narrow opening between the headrest, and trim next to the headrest.
very simple fix.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:19 PM

Did you fix problem and how