Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Best years for used CLK 350 or 450

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Default Best years for used CLK 350 or 450

Hi, I am just new to this forum and am looking to buy a used CLK 350 or 450 next August 07. I would appreciate any thoughts on the best years to look at ( somewhere between 3-5 years old ). I want something that is luxurious, sporty, handles well, but does not ride rock hard. I also want a car that doesn't bleed me to death with repairs. I live on the wet coast in Vancouver BC where we hardly get snow but tons of rain.

As well, are tuned-ups expensive and what typcial costs or repairs can I expect to pay. Do owners typcial use Mercedes for tune-ups or can you find private mechanics.

I have heard some less than promosing reviews of Mercedes, but I just love them with a passion. Am I going down a bad road?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Best years for used CLK 350 or 450

Hi
I have a suggestion for you. Each year, there is still some issue on each model but YOU MUST REALIZE ONE THING, MERCEDES COUPE MODELS ARE ALWAYS HAS MORE TROUBLE THAN SEDANS DUE TO DESIGN ARRANGEMENT LIKE CONVERTIBLE, POWER SEATBELT, POWER SEAT AND MOSTLY EVERYTHING HAS POWER, THEREFORE, MANY ISSUES ARE FORM ELECTRICAL SYSTEM DESIGN. TO ME, YOU MAY TRY TO LOOK FOR AVERAGE MILEAGE USAGE CAR SUCH AS 15,000 OR 20,000 MILES. BY MY EXPERIENCE IN NEW BENZ, THEY ALWAYS HAS TROUBLE IN ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OR POWERTRAIN AND EVEN TRANSMISSION IN EARLY LIFE EITHER MINOR OR MAJOR. THE BEST IS ASK THE DEALER OR SELLER TO RUN A CAR'S HISTORY BY RUNNING THE VIN NUMBER OF YOUR SELECTED ONE ON www.carfax.com(You may have to pay a fee but if ask dealer to do it, it may not charge you or else you will not buy). IT WILL TELL YOU THE FULL STORY OF THE CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME OUT OF DEALER THRU ROUTINE SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE AND ANY ACCIDENT INVOLVED (MOST LEASING CAR HAS SOME BODY DAMAGED AND TRY TO FIX IT LIKE NEW BUT NOT REPORT IT). THIS YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR OWN EYES TO LOOK IN DEEPER. IF IN SEVERAL PAGES OF REPORT, DIDN'T SHOWED MANY TIME OF DEALER SERVICE DUE TO CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FAILURE THEN THAT IS MAY BE A LESS TROUBLESOME ONE AND YOU CAN HAVE CONFIDENCE TO BUY IT. i GOT MY 2000 E320 THIS WAY AND AFTER TWO YEAR OF OWNING, I NEVER PAID FOR ANY MAJOR REPAIR RELATED TO NON-WARRANTY AND NO BIG ISSUE ON MY CAR SO FAR. i HOPE THIS EXPERIENCE WILL GIVE YOU SOME HINTD TO PURCHASE THE CAR WITH MORE CONFIDENCE. DON'T BUY CARS IN THE FIRST YEAR OF REMODEL LIKE MY E320 REMODEL IN 2003. 2003 E320 IS THE WORST YEAR OF E320 MODELS. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR NEW COMING CAR.

Regards,
joedao2005

Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Thanks Joedao2005 for the quick reply!

ManRay

Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM

I agree with everything that you've just been told! But recognize this one thing, that you know all too well; you will pay for what you get! What am I saying? I'm simply saying that, if the dealership provides you a vehicle history, you will pay for it! It may not be readily apparent, but you will pay for it! It will be weaved in to the cost of the car in a very subtle manner, so to the point that you will not even notice it! So, follow the advise, but follow it at your own expense, that way you won't have to finance it in with your monthly payment. Happy motoring!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 AM

Hi ManRay
You are very welcome. This is your money so think more carefully, less painful. My philosophy is just simple. My money so I must get what I pay for so make a right decision is only my concern. Good Luck and Enjoy your New Lovely benz. I really want to share your joy and so comfortable to seat on a lovely car. [IMG]