Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

Hi from the UK.. help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Default Hi from the UK.. help needed

Hi from the UK, it's always interesting to read Mercedes CL threads from owners around the world.

I thought I would contact your forum in an effort to try and sort out a problem I have with my CL. All efforts in the UK have failed so far.

I own a CL55 AMG ( year 2000 ) but now have the problem with the side windows de-laminating. I have managed to find 3 of the 4 needed here in the UK without having to resort to the main dealer prices but I am now stuck on finding the fourth.

I need the drivers side, or in your case the front passenger side window glass and wondered if anyone knew anyone to contact that may have a replacement one for sale. Failing that any dealer in the USA you may recommend that will ship replacement parts worldwide.

Do you know what the cost from your dealers for such a window is. In the UK it's around $1000 just to supply.

Any information and help would be of a great help. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Are you referring to the window tint? As in the adhesive placed on the windows in order to make it darker? You can find these at a lot of tinting stores and it will be a lot cheaper than at the dealer. If you find a good store, it will probably be a lot cheaper, too.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks for your reply. No, it is not the tint. The window is made up of two pieces of glass glued together ( laminated ) and it is the glue between the two that has failed and started to go White. It was a fault on the Pilkington Glass made windows. So it is the complete glass I need. A window tint film was never fitted and they are illegal in the UK if used on any window forwards of the rear passenger doors.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Oh, that is bad. In that case, I am not actually sure it is possible to replace that. And if it is, it might very well be quite a bit cheaper to acquire new window glass. Have you perhaps tried a scrapping yard? You might also check for wrecked cars which you could offer someone a low price for their window if they are parting it out. Good luck!