Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

Best Year of CL 2002 -2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Default Best Year of CL 2002 -2006

Hey,

I am new to Mercedes. I have been a BMW owner for 21 years. I have been eyeing the CL 500 for years, particularly starting in 2002.

I am purchasing a use between 2002 & 2006 CL500 in the next 3 months.

I am currently doing my research & checking all 4 sales listing.

This will be my daily driver (work & play).

I am looking for the best deal (economy). However, I am focusing on year, mileage & condition.

What is the best year (2002 -2006) and why?

What is the biggest flaw & problem/issue?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sircas

Last edited by Sircaas; 08-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM

ABC (Active Body Control) is a potential problem. I just turned my 2002 CL with 73,000 miles in on an '09 E350 that doesn't have any computer controlled suspension. My car started to have problems with the ABC. The automatic door closure gave me problems because a small plastic piece cracked and could no longer supply the pneumatic pressure to close the door. You have to buy the whole door lock mechanism ($600). The most beautiful car I've ever had - best interior, but a nightmare when it breaks.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM

The best advice I can give is to buy the NEWEST, LOWEST MILEAGE CL-class you can afford. Best to get one with or will qualify for an extended warranty. I have several and they are NOT cars I would want to own without warranty, at least until I know the major items have been replace or repaired before it expires if possible. Also make sure you have your local Mercedes dealer run a printout of any history or maintenance and repair that has or has NOT been done. You want your CL-Class to have been well maintained. Unfortunately, as these vehicles get older and get 2nd, 3rd & 4th owners, each respectively seems to maintain it less, and many times offer them for sale because they KNOW the vehicle is in need of work or expensive maintenance. Again, just my opinion.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 300SDLGUY
The best advice I can give is to buy the NEWEST, LOWEST MILEAGE CL-class you can afford..........I have several and they are NOT cars I would want to own without warranty.......as these vehicles get older and get 2nd, 3rd & 4th owners, each respectively seems to maintain it less, and many times offer them for sale because they KNOW the vehicle is in need of work or expensive maintenance......Again, just my opinion.
I think your opinion should be rephrased, from an opinion, to darn good advice!!!!!!!!

Breatiful cars, but they will cost a lot to repair when they go wrong, which they will as they are not built to high enough standard for all the technology in them. I think your theory of 2nd, 3rd and 4th etc owners is very true!

I know someone who had one, bought in late 2002 or maybe very early 2003, it was constantly going back to the dealer for tiny things (and some major things - commando system went dead twice for example!) it was a running joke that we always had with him, what had gone wrong since we last saw him! Stuff was all covered under warranty, but he got rid of it when the extended warranty he had opted for ended.

He told me the repairs if not covered by warranty would have run into the tens of thousands! Worth noting he was a very typical merc driver, so the car was driven carefully and no 0-60s etc were ever done etc etc, so the poor reliability was not down to the way the car was driven.

He had a W140 coupe before and he said he was shocked at how the reliability went down hill and dealers (here in the UK) got worse. Inceidently he drivers a BMW now....so a loyal customer lost by Mercedes there.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:38 AM
Default only 2006

I think the one that will go to classic car status in 10 years is the 2006 in either Silver\Black or Blue\Tan. The black exterior are typically owned by the racer\younger crowd and get destroyed by accidents and neglected. THis is my observation after checking out about 100 of these cars over the past two years. I just bought my silver 2006 CL5 with 57K miles. I needs door lock repair, ABC repair and a new radio and ongoing TLC.