Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird clicking noise from dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Weird clicking noise from dash

Hi there! Your stepper motor flap broke because mine is doing the same thing. The dealer told me that it will not get worst but just irritating. They told me that the part is like $16.00 but to repair it they have to remove the dash and will take around 6 hours of labor which will come out to around $600-$700 for just labor. So, I'm living with it for now. It clicks exactly 8 times everytime I start the car then stops. Saving almost $800 for just a temporary click is ok with me. But, if you found out another way to fix it without taking the dash apart PLEASE let me know and I will do the same for you. I'm still looking into ways of fixing it myself. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2007, 04:29 PM

i have the same problem, weird clicks that are not in sync, only on cold starts though, .. weird

Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM

I have the same problem, CLK 320 2004. Out of warranty ofcourse. Mine has started whilst it has got cold. However if the car has been driven within the last 10 - 15 mins it does not click...I wonder if it only happens when its cold?

If anyone has a simpler solution please post!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM

This just started in my CLK320 - doesn't matter warm or cold - whenever it is started. 8 times then it goes off. From reading postings - it sounds like a stepper motor flap or footwell flap arm. Tons of labor to get to? Is this hurting the car at all (resulting in more expense later?)Would it be cheaper at an independent Mercedes maintenance place or dealer? Uuugh.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Wow, I am having the same clicking problem as well, '02 C320. I can't believe that this has happened to all of us, and it is so expensive to fix. I feel like there should be a way to cut the power to the moving part, thus, stopping the noise. Does anyone know of a solution like this? What about just removing the tooth somehow?

unrelated question - anyone know of a good paint chip-filler brand for a bunch of touch ups? What about leather repair? (dark blue paint, tan interior)

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 PM

I JUST BROUGHT MY BENZ TO THE DEALERSHIP IT IS DEFINATLY THE STEPPER MOTOR THANK GOD ITS COVERED UNDER WARRENTY, THIS PART GOES FOR AROUND 1,000 AT THE DEALERSHIP

Old 05-09-2008, 06:57 PM

We had the same problem in our 2001 C240 two years ago. It was the step motor and the dealer said they were seeing more cars come in with this problem. The orignal quote was about $900 to get it fixed. But we regualarly have the car serviced at this dealer and we had a number of issues with the car when it was newso the dealer was willing to go back to Mercedes and ask that they pick up some of the cost and the dealer also absorbed some of the cost as well. Ultimatley, we ended up paying $350 to get this problem fixed.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Question C240 AC stepper motor/flap noise

It seems that it is a very popular failure, have the same problem in our 2004 C240.
It is the step motor and the dealer said. The quote was about $1500 to get it fixed.
maybe there is a way to cut the power to the moving part, thus, stopping the noise. Does anyone know of a solution like this? What about any other failures, if this is not fixed?
Is this hurting the car at all (resulting in more expense later?)

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM

My c240 is doing the same thing, but it is clicking 39 times before shutting off. Every time i start the car warm or cold.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Default dash clicking sound

try moving the temp control from cold to warm seems to work for me

Quick Reply: Weird clicking noise from dash