Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Reduce Oil Level indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Default Reduce Oil Level indicator

Hi,

Need help with the oil level indicator on my 2004 C320 4Matic. I had my oil changed at the dealer and the reduce oil level indicator kept coming on after 20 minutes of driving. Once I turn off the ingnition and restart the car, the malfunction would go away, but only to come back 10 minutes later. Is this something serious or I just need to reduce or add oil? How many quarts of oil does this engine need? Thanks for you help.

Srun
Lynnwood, WA

Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Reduce Oil Level indicator

The oil capacity of this engine is 8 Litres (just over 8 quarts), they will have put in the correct oil amount, but I can almost guarantee they did not change the oil filter.

This happened to me, they admitted the new technician has forgot.

If you believe they did replace the filter get them to drain off 1/4 to 1/2 a litre (1 litre = 1.1 Quarts)

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM

I thinka lit"Reduce Oil Level" indicator is likely trying to tell you to....

REDUCE

OIL

LEVEL

Reduce means "to lessen"

Oil simply refers to "Oil" as in Motor Oil...

and "Level" is used here to indicate "amount"

So "Reduce Oil Level" means....take some oil out because the dealer over filled your Mercedes!

Since you do not have a Dipstick to help you see the oil level, you have what is termed (not my term now ) an "IDIOT light" to notify you when your oil is low or in this case HIGH.

So, if I were you, when I see a light that says "Reduce Oil Level", I would go with my gut instinct and ...

REDUCE the LEVEL of the OIL.

Hope this helps.

-Eric

Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM

A new apparantly absorbs almost half a litre according to Mercedes.

For those who may not know, sorry if you do
The Idiot light is actually a matrix display that runs via the computer, it tells you when stationary with the ignition on, engine off.

It very accurate measurements for example reduce oil level by 0.5 litre or add 1.5 litre of oil.

Eric had a point, to be sure, Lower/Reduce/Drain Out....

Or like I originally suggested, get the dealer to do it, and or replace the filter.

The mesh filter will absorb almost 1/2 a litre.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM

FYI-Just bought a 2003 C230 coupe, 1.8T. Oil cap 5.8L. drove off the lot and 20miles into my maiden trip the reduce oil level warning came on. Took it to my mechanic and we drained out .25L and all was well. Obviously the last service the tech put in 6qts[&:]. PJP

Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I decided to change the oil and replaced a new oil filter myself. I drained out the oilcompletely.My manual shows 7.4 quarts or 7 liters of oil for the C320 4Matic. I poured precisely 7.4 quarts. The reduce oil indicator still comes on after 30 minutes of drive. Is my oil level sensor bad or the drive computer? Anything more serious than these 2 items? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Srun
Lynnwood, WA

Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM

The 7 litre is total oil capacity when empty.
When you drain the oil during oil change, the engine oil does not completely drain out.
So you need to put in only about 6.5 litre during oil change even when you change the filter.
Please drain out some oil from the sump and you should be OK.
SHAN.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Hi,

I'm still having this issue. I siped out enough oil out that the oil level indicator showsto add about .2 Q. When I drive the first 10-15 minutes from cold start, the indicator suggests that I add 1 quart of oil. After 20 to 25 minutes, the reduce oil level light comes on. A few minutes later, the engine off! comes on. After this light thevisit oil workshop light comes on. I believe the oil sensor mightis damaged? Any suggestion? I am hoping it is not the computer or something worse. Thanks.

Srun
Lynnwood, WA

Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 AM

My thought would initially be[&:] (before getting to replacing expensive parts)....

The oil sounds to me like its foaming up, possibly the wrong spec or at the end of its service life.

Use a good 0w40 or 5w40 Synthetic, this spec is better suited to European cars.

REMEMBER to change the filter too, and even run a flushing oil or chemical flush through first.

Best of luck and keep us posted [8D]

ORIGINAL: Srun

Hi,

I'm still having this issue. I siped out enough oil out that the oil level indicator showsto add about .2 Q. When I drive the first 10-15 minutes from cold start, the indicator suggests that I add 1 quart of oil. After 20 to 25 minutes, the reduce oil level light comes on. A few minutes later, the engine off! comes on. After this light thevisit oil workshop light comes on. I believe the oil sensor mightis damaged? Any suggestion? I am hoping it is not the computer or something worse. Thanks.

Srun
Lynnwood, WA

Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 AM

8 Litre's with filter, my C320 takes two packs of Mobil 1.

I usually put in 7.5 Litres (8 quarts) and use the .5 left over if it asks for it.

Hope this helps...

ORIGINAL: Shan

The 7 litre is total oil capacity when empty.
When you drain the oil during oil change, the engine oil does not completely drain out.
So you need to put in only about 6.5 litre during oil change even when you change the filter.
Please drain out some oil from the sump and you should be OK.
SHAN.

Quick Reply: Reduce Oil Level indicator