Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Mercedes C Class
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Default mercedes 05 c230 oil in water

recently I check the water in my tank reservoy and I notice that there was oil in the deposite so I went to the mecanic to check the compretions and they where the same in the 4 cy. The car has never overheated and has only 30,000 miles there are no misfires or temperature issues runs great I dont now if it probably that the head gasket went off with out overhating the car
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

The headgasket is blown between the oil and cooling system. It doesn't always break into the cylinder.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM

is there anothere test I can do to check the head gasket
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 AM

I think a compression check helps diagnose blown head gasket.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Only if the gasket is broken into the cylinder. A break between the coolant and oil systems will have no affect on cylinder operation.

However, coolant in the oil and vice versa are very harmful to the engine and need to be fixed immediately.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM

MBGT, what you can do is open up the radiator cap (cold) and put a radiator pressure tester in place of the radiator cap and crank the engine over, if it starts you can shut it off right away. Look at the pressure gauge and see if you get any readings. This will at least rule out head gasket leak from the cylinders.
What color is your coolant? Is it milky white? If not it could be that it's not oil as hot oil and hot coolant will blend and turn white. One test you can do here is add a dye (you can get this at most parts store) for oil and add it to your crankcase, run the engine for about 15 minutes and use a black light to see if you can see the dye in the radiator (make sure it is cool down enough to safely remove the cap, remove the cap slowly). Squeeze the upper radiator hose to make sure it's not hard as this would indicate high pressure (hot coolant).
Alan.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Tags
05, add, benz, c230, c240, cap, coming, coolant, forum, mbgt, mercedes, milky, oil, radiator, water