Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Indie Shop replaced EIS and it didn't fix the problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Default Indie Shop replaced EIS and it didn't fix the problem

2004 C230k (145,000 miles) with an intermittent EIS issue over the past 7 months.

Symptoms have been: Key fob intermittently "handshakes" with EIS (I can hear a motorized sound when it does). If it does, the fob turns. If it doesn't, the fob does not turn. When the fob turns to position 1 all gauges, etc.. turn on then drop out. When the fob turns to position 2, intermittently the car starts. Independent of whether the gauges drop out or not.

Took the car into an independent MB shop 2 weeks ago. Based on their recommendation, I agreed to have them replace the EIS. Waited for them to receive ordered switch. Today received a call and new EIS is in, but car is still behaving the same. Tech acknowledges the new EIS did not solve the problem. Says they are getting codes for Front SAM and Rear SAM and a bunch of others. Asked if I wanted him to continue diagnosing and that they were already at a total of $1200.00. I mentioned they should put my old EIS back in since it wasn't the problem and that we are now starting at $0. He said he would "work with me" and would adjust the billing, if I decided to keep the new EIS. Says he can't ship the EIS back to MB since it is programmed to my key fob and VIN.

Told him to leave it in and to continue diagnosing.

Any ideas? Thoughts? What else could it be if not the EIS?

Jeff

Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Here's an update. I am going on 4 weeks now (this Thursday) that the shop has had my car. The info I've received is as follows:

Ordered an EIS from MB in Texas (?)
Said they programmed it when it arrived.
Checked Voltage levels of Battery at Rest, during start and while running. All voltages looked fine.
Said they would need to check the codes they were getting for Front and Rear SAM.
Said they needed to order a "Breakout Box" (?) in order to read codes in CAN, etc. Said they had to order it. Sounds like a diagnostic device to me.
Said they "worked" (?) on codes again with EIS and since then the car starts every time.
Said the SRS indicator is still on and asked if that was something I had seen before. I said yes. It occurred when i had the battery replaced a few months ago and was hoping he could reset it, since he was going to be working on the EIS. Said each time he has tried, it comes back on again. He said when he hooks the car to "Auto Logic", he clears the code and it comes back.
I asked if he has the STAR system and he said no. He said Auto Logic is what they use because it has diagnostic features for MB, BMW and Audi "all in one".

This is the extent of my experience. Some or all of this seems sketchy to me.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM

And this is an update as of today. The previous post was an update as of last Thursday (3/19).

Just to be clear, The EIS they purchased was not already programmed. They bought a switch and then programmed it at their shop.

So I just got off the phone with the shop. Last I spoke with them was on Tuesday of this week, they did "some reprogramming of the EIS" and they've not had any problem with the car starting, but they wanted to run it through a car wash (get things wet), let it sit out in the cold overnight (get things cold) and see if anything would change. So this morning I called and they said the car still starts up just fine, each and every time. They've not mentioned anything else about the SAM codes or other codes they were getting, or what the "breakout box" (adapter?) allowed them to see. Maybe it helped them eliminate some items. I'll have to ask.

So the front desk gal is going to have the technician call me in an hour and a half because he is under a car. I've yet to find out if the SRS light issue is resolved, etc..

I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that they have stumbled across something, wiggled something, farted around with the coding again, etc... or that the car is now for whatever reason not demonstrating the intermittent failure to start any longer and they are hesitant to say the issue is fixed, yet if I believe it is, that they are then going to exclaim "it is fixed" and now charge me for all of the diagnostic time they spent "practicing" on my car.

How do I walk away with the thought that they really didn't fix my car, pay the man and that in a couple of weeks the same issue isn't going to arise and taking it back to them for any warranty on their work is going to rectify the problem? I feel like several questions need to be answered for sure. I'm not keen on paying them for all of their "learning" either. Or shall I just assume it's all working and that they must have fixed it? How do I get around that? I will update in an hour or so once I've spoken with the Tech.

Jeff

Old 05-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Update:

Here's an update and a Final on this issue......

Indie shop had the car for nearly a month. Spent countless hours unplugging and checking all connections thinking the problem could be the front and/or rear SAM. Found nothing. They ended up calling the Dealer and the dealer told them there was no way they could have reprogrammed the EIS since MB has changed the protocol on that. Indie took the car to MB and had them re-program the EIS. Picked up the car a few days later. The indie shop GUARANTEED it would work fine. Worked great for a day and then it crapped out again.

I got bright and decided to fart around with the Key Fob. Decided to go beyond just checking the battery and pulled the circuit board out. Guess what I found? A dense amount of lint, dirt, etc down between the sensor and the fob cover. Smacked it in the palm of my hand a few times and the lint ball fell out. It was a pretty dense and hard ball of dirt/lint. Put everything back together and haven't had a lick of trouble since. I'm going on a few weeks now.

Jeff