Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on your C230K Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Default Hesitation on your C230K Coupe?

My 2002 C230K have been to thedealer twice for the same problem. And now it looks like its going back. It's starting the same symptoms all over again.</P>

My coupe hesitates when it accelerate. The hesitation feels like the car would fall on its face! It's like the gas flow stops and then resumes after 1 or 2 full seconds. A total lost of power for a couple of seconds. This is also obvious when I'm on the freeway cruising then all of a sudden the cruise control de-activates and the car slows down...like releasing the gas. There is nopattern when this happens: accelerating slow or normal or fast, on 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th, on the freeway, in the city, uphillm downhill, gas maybe full, half or close to empty. I guess the pattern is it could happen any time.</P>

Has anyone experienced this before?</P>

- Norm</P><edited><editID>NormsC230K</editID><editDate>38009.5414699074</editDate></edited>

Old 01-24-2004, 08:52 AM

Norms, </P>

Oh hell yeah, same year, same model. Have them check this: fuel pump + insides of the gas tank. The fuel pumphas the nasty tendency of burning out when it sucks air, which will happen because the fuel level buoy / fuel intake has a problem (my case 2 pumps with the same initial symptoms along with a little sluggishness, by the third one they found out the "undisclosed" problem with the fuel buoy / intake and replaced the whole thing), no more problemos after that. By the way, you know the pump is gone 'cuz it will display the "service electric system" message in red and a big car battery icon in the speedo display for a while (2 seconds? maybe 3) then the car just dies, watch out for traffic'cuzthe steering wheel and brake pedal gets unbelievably hard to turn /press after that. Don't crank it if that happens, it wont start.</P>

Just for the funof it have them checkthe gas pedal, which is completely electronic and may be shorting out.</P>

Old 01-24-2004, 05:30 PM

Thanks for your feedback, katfud. I will mention this to my service technician.</P>

I didn't let mine go to that extreme where it finally died on me and wouldn't start, so I did not see the warning and service lights.</P>

Thanks!</P>

- Norm</P>

Old 04-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Default RE: Hesitation on your C230K Coupe?

The same thing happened to my mom's S-class but never my car. Anyway the problem is the Gas Pedal Value Sensor. The sensor just misjudges the pressure on the gas pedal. If you go to Mercedes and tell them that this is the problem they will fix it for free. Trust me on this. It happens to all floormounted pedal cars. If you get it fixed it should be good for a while. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions. -JD