Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Electrical problem - power window

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Default Help! Electrical problem - power window

Hi all,

I've got a 94 C180 and it's having a power window problem.

When the front doors (driver and passanger) are closed, I can't get the window to go up or down. But if either one of the front doors is opened, the windows seem to work fine.
Is this a common problem? If yes,what usually is the problem?
The right rear window does not work.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the circuit? How does it actually work together with the door switches?
What are "convenience control unit" & "pse control module"? What do they control?

I see a black box on the right side of luggage compartment and it consists of yellow vacuum lines and 3 wiring harnesses. What is it?

I've got a bunch of questions already.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help! Electrical problem - power window

need all the VIN number to check your DATACARD and accessories installed.

wiring diagram is only available from 1985 - up... but i can give schematic diagram (almost the same).

Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks sleepwalker.

Do all cars in all countries have vin number? How do I find it?
In US, usually I read vin number on dash under the windshield. I don't think I see it on mine. I'll double check.
I live in Indonesia by the way.
I'll post any info as soon as I can.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM

I think I've found it on door jam.
WDB2020186F047171

Is that it?

Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

yes it is.

your car was a complete knockdown (CKD) and range of delivery is indonesia last december 22 1993. color could be silver matallic with blue/violet interior.

your power window system is similar to the new models now... that was 10 years advance! if something goes wrong, it is the door control module that causes them.

study the diagram very well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/A93898307A624C5D9ED948964D3B245A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/70D0C7758837442A93F79D65DE81E1E4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/77C750A956E1433A92FAD0B2B4B30771.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Wow...
Amazing. I'm impressed.

By the way, could you tell me what kind of gas have I been putting into the tank?
Just kidding.

How can I get these kinds of information?

This is actually not my car. It is my friend's. He asked me to take a look and see what's wrong with it. I've got a little bit of automotive background but mostly Honda and Toyota.

This car has multiple problems such as the instrument cluster lighting up all the time & the radio doesn't work. Sometimes the radio and the windows work when you slam the door really hard.

I'll try to find out what's wrong with it one by one. So, lots of work to be done after this one.

Well, thanks a lot for your info. I'll study the diagrams and do my work. I'll post any update when I'm done.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a body ground problem.

i got a rare case in volvo many many years ago where all the lights will turn on everytime you step on the brake! i found a corroded ground terminal. the unit looks for another path to get to the ground and uses other components. but your's could be different but you have to consider that the car was CKD.. if you know what i mean. it's cut-up, chop-chop, stripped, etc.
SKD (semi-knockdown) only got the engine and transmission separated, but CKD...!

check the CAN, loose terminals and connections. a faulty component won't work all the time... but your's is intermittent problem.

fortunately, that car's model was produced until 1997 so i still got the wiring diagram... all of it.

seriously, the fuel you are using or suppose to use is leaded (90, 93 octane) since the car has NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER because it was ELIMINATED. no emission control either.

next question is what tire you originally had? it's BRIDGESTONE!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:52 PM

Of course, with no emission regulation here, what do you spend the money for? A catalytic converter?

I tried to check 2 problems at a time and thought that they might relate to each other. 1. Intermittent power window and 2. dead RR window.

I checked the "I-don't-know-what-it-is-called" thing, but I may have to call it a power window module or somekind with 8 relays integrated into the module. It seemed to be working fine. I also happen to have a 95 C180 (WDB2020186F194582) of my own and I took my known good module out and put it into the 94 C180. It didn't do any good.

I tested the continuity of the wires from the module to the RR window switch. They showed good connections. I switched the LR & RR switches around. Stayed the same.
I jumped the RR window by pushing the relay contacts on the module, the motor worked both up and down.

When the RR window was in down position, I pushed the "up" switch it didn't do anything. But when I pushed the "down" switch it went up.

Sleepwalker mentioned about the door control module. Where is it? How does it work? Is that the same thing with the one I call power window control module?

I'm still having difficulties trying to understand the schematic diagram. I'll keep trying.
Meanwhile I have another source of info but I don't know how far can I rely on this diagram.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

i think i have sent you the wrong wiring diagram. that was after 1997. the diagram you had could be the right one.

the problem lies on CAN or you can try to exchange with that convenience control unit to confirm.

it is on the rear right of the car. close to the battery.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 AM

My diagram was for 94 C220 US version.
I don't really think that was 100% the right diagram. May be only 20% since I can only use some of the color coded wires, not all.
But as far as the functionality of the circuit is concerned, it appeared to be different. I'm pulling my hair out since I can't get the right info and basically do the diagnostic the old-fashioned way, tear "all I can tear" appart and see if there is anything wrong visually.

This morning I did get the windows to work while the front doors are closed. I'll post the update later.

Quick Reply: Help! Electrical problem - power window