Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Help!! C280 transmission in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Default Help!! C280 transmission in limp mode

I was just driving around, I was sitting at a stop sign. I accelerated so I could get in front of someone, nothing crazy. Then the tranny won't shift at all. I pulled over and turned it off, then turned it back on. The check engine light turned on, but the tranny is still in Limp Mode. What can I do? Everyone I called wants like a hundred bucks just to read the error codes.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 PM

Are you still under warranty?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Nope, otherwise I'd just take it there. It's up to me figure this out. For what reason would the transmission go into limp mode in the first place? I honestly have no idea why this is happening.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 PM

If it's like my Ford truck, you can disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so and it will reset. It should go out of LIMP mode. This won't, of course, tell you what happened, but you could try it and see if it goes back into limp mode. If it does, it will tell you that you definately have a problem. I know you'll also have to reset your sunroof after you disconnect the battery, and I'm not sure what else, (I've been a MB owner for all of two weeks now) but it's worth a try.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Help!! C280 transmission in limp mode.

Reply: More than likely it is the MAFS (Mass Air Flow sensor) causing the problem. Take it to an Autozone parts store and they will read the 'check engine' codes for you. Then come back to this forum with the codes and do a search.

Good luck.
John

Last edited by jmsbiz; 07-31-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM

The codes that came up were:
PO715
PO720

Where do I search? I don't see any sticky threads on this board

Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by arkamedies
I was just driving around, I was sitting at a stop sign. I accelerated so I could get in front of someone, nothing crazy. Then the tranny won't shift at all. I pulled over and turned it off, then turned it back on. The check engine light turned on, but the tranny is still in Limp Mode. What can I do? Everyone I called wants like a hundred bucks just to read the error codes.
Could be that your catyllitic convertor box blew out. I did the exact same thing racing a Jeep in my M-class (lol, embarrassing yes I know) and I couldn't drive past first gear. It wasn't cheap to fix, but it's something that shouldn't happen again throughout the time you own the vehicle.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

A catalytic convertor box blew out???? Are you talking about a torque converter? A catalytic converter is part of an exhaust system......

Alan.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Indeed, his post makes no sense. But I would like to know more information about these codes and what they could indicate, if anyone has any idea please post them.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM

Where would you find these codes interpreted?

Quick Reply: Help!! C280 transmission in limp mode