Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Fault code P201B-032 - Misfire on cylinder 3, damages TWC fuel deficiency

Old 11-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Default Fault code P201B-032 - Misfire on cylinder 3, damages TWC fuel deficiency

Hi All

Year: 2001
Model: 203.045 - C200 Kompressor

A brief history of the vehicle:
Petrol gauge reads full then empty, then full again. Petrol pump was faulty and has since been replaced twice. (they said it was an inherrent fault on all same year models)
Main front cable harness was faulty and had to be replaced. (they said it was an inherrent fault on all same year models)
Various electrical problems have been experienced over time of ownership.

I am experiencing a misfire while driving the vehicle.

I have been to a number of dealers, who do not seem to care, let alone understand what is wrong with the car.

The diagnostics machine reports a fault P201B-032 (Misfiring of cylinder 3, Damages TWC fuel deficiency) on the ME-SFI section of it's output.

The technicians have removed and cleaned the spark plugs, check electrical connections etc. but to no avail. I still sit with a car that misfires, mostly when under acceleration.

The technicians now are saying that they will have to get a endoscope to inspect the inside of the cylinder chamber and/ or valves as they seem to have no idea of the cause.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem?

Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Default RE: Fault code P201B-032 - Misfire on cylinder 3, damages TWC fuel deficiency

I don't have any advice but I "feel your pain", man.

Are you still in warranty?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Default re misfire

i have a 2001 c2ook with a misfire on idle and through the rev range. changed coil packs and air flow sensor no better. booked into mercs for a rev test.

they re map the ecu and run the vehicle for 1hr at fast idle with double the fuel load,assited with extra fans for cooling. this gives the vehicle a basic decoke of the cylinders and increases compression.

95% succesfull sadley mine was not, dur to titanium valve seats if rev test does not cure then new cylinder head required with new valves £2000.00 + for parts alone

at 32,000mls this is crap and mercs do not wanna know.

main preventitive cure is to use premium unleaded fuels and not the cheap unleaded. seems standard unleaded does not have the burn temperature required to remove all deposits from the cylinders.

good luck

ted

Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 AM
KMC
Default Help

Do you have an update re your misfire? have the same problem and just cant find the problem.......................

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Default C200 Coupe Kompressor

My car is misfiring and I have taken it to Mercedes. (My car has done 52k, 6 years old, full Merc History)

On the first occassion they told me to use Super Leaded for a few weeks and this would get rid of the problem.

And this did not.

So took it back and this time they said I need new injectors, so they put new injectors and this did not work. This was advised by Mercedes Technical in Germany.

I spoke Mereceds Technical in Germany (completely useless) telling them you are trying to charge £800 and the problem is still not fixed.

So they then advise to change the valves and the head at a cost of £5000.

I am an Engineer not a mechanic and have a basic understanding, I did some homework and the problem is that it is a design fault which Mereceds know about.

The problem lies with the valves, the reason and these theiving idiots at Merc wont admit it, is that they want you to pay for a new head as well in order to replace the faulty designed valves with a completely new one, to do this they have to replace the perfectly good head as well.

Mercedes know fully well what the problem is, they wont pay for it. You just have to look atthe design of the new engines.

I hope people take note of this and boycott these theiving idiots!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but i seem to have a similar problem and was hoping if someone could help.

I have a 2005 C200 Kompressor Coupe and every time I start the car, i get a juddering from the driveshaft/gearbox (that's where it seems to be coming from) which subsides as the car warms up but can still be felt when stopped at a red light (no vibes when the car's in neutral).

Having been used to driving a rwd bmw 5 series, i've noticed the vibrations in that when stopped at a red light, but the vibrations on my merc are much worse.

The reason i'm posting here is that when i took it to the garage, the mechanic said it could be a cylinder issue. Having not found threads on driveshaft issues, i came here.

The car has 75,000 km on the clock and accelerates fine so am curious if it really is a cylinder misfire or something else. I'm quite puzzled by this. Hoping it's not the design fault Skal mentioned.

Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!