Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Estimate of service B for C240

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Default Estimate of service B for C240

Good evening,

I have absolutely no knowledge of cars andneed help with an estimate of service for my C240. I am trying to decide which of the list below is urgent and which can wait till next month. If someone can also please explain to me the need to change the parts in bold:

right side valve cover gasket
right side stabilizer link boot
front & rear brake disc
front & rear brake pads (what is the difference between the disc and the pads?)
transmission oil & filter
brake oil
engine & gear mount
battery

what does it mean if there is a need to open transmission as oil and water are mixed? I was told that this is very dangerous.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Estimate of service B for C240

You have several issues here> and you may not like my answer, but I'm going to be very up front about it, so don't
be offended please. You live in Dubai, right? There must be a Mercedes dealer or an independent near you that has
service advisors that can explain to you what you should and should not be concerned with at whatever mileage your
car has on it now. I see it's a 2004. Service B is a more comprehensive service than Service A, which is basically an oil
and filter change with a few things checked. In my opinion, brakes are the most important thing on a any vehicle. So I personally would attend to that first. Valve cover gasket leaking is not an emergency, but shouldn't be a big deal to take
the cover off and replace it. There is probably only a bit of oil coming out of it....a few drops maybe. But the other things you mentioned should also be considered....engine mounts, etc. Did the dealership tell you these things were bad? Do the rotors
AND the pads at the same time. The pads are what is contained in the calipers which surround your rotors. The rotors are the
round "discs" you can plainly see. You won't really be able to see the pads. The rotors move with the wheel, the caliper stays put with the pads inside it to stop your car. But the service guy wherever you go should explain all this anyway. The issue about the transmission with oil and water....I have no idea what you are referring to. Changing the transmission fluid is a good idea, but there are differing opinions on when, like everything else here. I did mine at about 100K miles. The filter is replaced at
the time they take the trans. pan off the bottom of the transmission. How many miles on your car now? Some things may be
able to wait a bit. Hope this helps you out. I don't know what the situation is in UAE, but there must be several independent
shops that can do these jobs for you as well, if you decide you don't want to go to the dealership there.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:13 PM

My 2003 C240 needs a Service B in about 2000 miles.
Can anyone tell me what is included in a Service B?
I'm hoping that I can do most of it myself.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 PM

For ddrdh4:
Main items listed frommy 2002 Sport Coupe manual for a "B" service:
There are a lot of "check" items but only a few "replace" items.
Replace dust filter; correct battery fluid;
rotate tires if same sizes, correct tire pressure;
replace engine oil and filter;
correct fluids in cooling system, brake system, power steering, windshield washer;
lubricate catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood; adjust headlamp aiming;
replace windshield wiper rubber inserts.
Every 48,000km(30,000 miles) or 4 years adjust parking brake.
Every 80,000km(50,000 miles) or 4 years check drive shaft flex discs; retighten steering gear bolts.
Every 96,000km(60,000 miles) or 4 years replace fuel filter and air filter.
Every two years replace brake fluid.
Every 160,000km (100,000 miles) or 5 years replace spark plugs for all C models.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 PM

To follow-up MrCoyotes response I would do the following things now:
As stated both the discs and the brake pads at the same time.
Replace the brake fluid (only if needed as dictated by mileage or testing)
Replace the engine & gear mounts-do them all if you're doing one. Could definately wait a month.
Replace the battery (only if it is dead or dying) I have had most batteries last a minimum of 5 years.

For next month:
Replace the valve cover gasket (only if it is leaking badly).
Replace the stabilizer link boot. (I have NEVER replaced this item as I suspect it is simply a rubber shield/cover on the suspension).

How many miles on the car?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Yes, I agree with gil>

It also greatly depends on your degree of mechanical ability. Some people would find replacing the fuel filter easy.
Some not. And the vehicle's mileage will determine greatly the cost of the Service B. Those jobs add up fast at a
dealership. They also tend to replace everything that's even slightly out of place, so you can't give them free reign
to go on a replacement binge with your car. Be specific when you have your car at a dealership. And tell the service
writer if they find anything other than what you want them to do, to call you with the price of the job FIRST. This way,
you avoid surprises when you go to pick up your car. "You had to replace the WHAT???!!!"

Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Thank gilgorm! I will have 60,000 on my C240. I can easly do all of that.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I have a 2005 C230K due for a B service. It currently has 36K with 6K left until service B will be needed. My question is this.. If I were to take the vehicle somewhere else besides the dealership for the service will this void any sort of warranty?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 AM

It shouldn't, as long as you document the service. That's what I did, since the Service B can be hideous at the dealer.
Just be sure and be very clear about what they are going to include on the Service B and what they will NOT just do
because the car is in their hands. And if the shop doesn't know how to reset the indicator, or if you don't know, I'll post
or send that to you.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Sounds good thanks. I called the dealership and spoke to a service rep and he told me to wait for the Service B for the oil change as well. I was told that the oil change was done when I first purchased the vehicle at 32K. Should I just wait? It seems like a long period between changes if I go until my Service B is due so I am a bit weary.

Quick Reply: Estimate of service B for C240