Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Crankshaft Position Sensor C230

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor C230

My check engine light came on recently and after reading the ODB code, it said crankshaft position sensor. Does anyone know where this is located on a 2007 C230? What I know so far is that the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) is located on the rear of the engine near the firewall but after lifting the engine cover, I could not find it. Any help/pictures/descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Smile How to replace your 2007 C230 CPS

So a year and a half later, I figured out where this sensor is and how to replace it.

You will need
a Torx T27 L-shaped wrench (found at digikey.com for $2.50)
a flexible mirror ($7.50 at Ace)
a flashlight
a new Crankshaft Position Sensor (apprx $35 at autopartswarehouse.com)

The sensor has 1 Torx T27 bolt hold it in. It's located 5 or 6 inches to the right of engine air intake. On top of the block, it's on the rear, driver side housing.

For access, completely remove the air intake system (plastic on top of engine) as if you were replacing the air filters. There are two additional pieces near the rear of the engine which need to be removed as well. None of the air intake system requires any tools to remove from the hood, just wiggle a little and/or turn a little.

This site helped a lot after the air intake system was removed.
http://pingelblog.blogspot.com/2008/...on-sensor.html

You will not be able to see the sensor without a mirror and a light. Use the L-wrench to unbolt the sensor. My sensor was also tied in with a plastic tie wrap which I had to cut.

Just remove the old sensor and replace it with the new one you ordered online. It is a plug as all the other sensors are. Be careful in handling the sensor as it appears to be just a magnet but you don't want to have to do this job again.

Place the air intake system back into its normal position and this job is done. Some people quoted a 20 minute job but it took me nearly 4 hours because I have large hands which don't quite fit into the small engine space of the C230, none the less it got accomplished.

You will need a OBDII scanner handy to erase the check engine codes for the CPS. A good one runs about 200 at Discount Auto Parts. If the code does not come back, you're good to go. If there is a code which comes back, you did something wrong.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DSB07
My check engine light came on recently and after reading the ODB code, it said crank position sensor. Does anyone know where this is located on a 2007 C230? What I know so far is that the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) is located on the rear of the engine near the firewall but after lifting the engine cover, I could not find it. Any help/pictures/descriptions would be greatly appreciated.
I just replaced the CPS on my 2000 ML320 last night, not a hard job, just a tricky one. The CPS is located just above the bell housing on the rear of the engine on the drivers side..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-30-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Smile Thank you for being better!

Your post helped me! I registerd here to say thanks for being the example. Peace