Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

97 c280 shaking and check engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Default 97 c280 shaking and check engine

so i have a 97 c280 that the check engine light has recently turned on. prior to the light turning on, when going to accelerate like to get onto the highway my car would hesitate a bit and then make a "click" noise which sounds like it is coming from the back. after the clicking then the car accelerates. however now the light is on and when i stop it begins shaking like its going to stall. i havent had it stall on me yet but im hoping maybe someone on here can help me out. ive read alot about the wiring harnesses? idk if it could be that . any advice would be great!!!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Post Engine shake and vibration

Well there are a few things that can be causing your engine to be this way.

0. Always use premium gas!!! Low octane gas like 87 or 89 will not burn or ignite correctly in your engine and cause the engine to shake. Use at least 91 or 92 octane.

1. You probably need to change your gas/fuel filter.

If it is dirty, your engine will not be getting proper flow of gas to the engine. Please beaware of which gas station you go to as well. Gas stations with dirty gas will make your gas filter work over time. Your gas filter is located in back between your rear wheels.

If your engine still shakes and vibrates then you got to solve this problem from the engine.

2. Go and get your fuel injectors cleaned.

The fuel injectors need to be cleaned from contaminants that may have slipped through the gas filter over a 100,000 to 150,000 mile period.

I had a similar problem with my engine shaking and vibrating and had to get fuel injectors cleaned for about 150 U.S. dollars.

3. You may need to replace a fuel injector or more if the fuel injector is not spraying correctly.

This can be costly. At the Mercedes Benz dealer, I had to pay 220 U.S. dollars for one fuel injector!

4. Lastly, if all the above was done and your engine is still shaking and vibrating, then you will probably need new spark plugs.

Old spark plugs may not fire correctly or smoothly. You may not have to do all the spark plugs in your engine at once, but sooner or later, all the spark plugs will have to be replaced. It might be a better idea to just replace all your spark plugs at once since labor costs are expensive. The good news is that spark plugs are not expensive. The German brand Bosche which makes spark plugs, sells for just under ten U.S. dollars per spark plug on their website.

I hope the above helps to solve your engine. Please keep me informed of your situation.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:11 PM

ahh you have been so helpful thank you so much! i plan on going to ask my mechanic tomorrow..i only have 69,000 miles on it so im thinking maybe not the fuel injectors i think thats what you said needs to be changed within 100-150,000 miles. i will definitely keep you posted!! thank you again!