Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C230 center console problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Default C230 center console problem

I have an '05 C230. I cannot get the center console cover (the one that opens from either side to access the upper comparment, or from the front to access the lower compartment) back on properly; I have it attached properly (I think) on one side, but I cannot get it to close on the other side. Is there a trick to it? Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Default RE: C230 center console problem

I'm having the exact same problem. It seems like a struggle to get it to open, and also to get the lid back on. Having done both, there was so much wriggling involved, I'm not even sure how I did it. When I did have the cover off, I figured out how the side buttons are supposed to work: they retract two little pins (one pointing towards front of car, the other towards back). Well, that side button has to be pushed pretty hard for the pins to move at all, and even then they are hardly moving. I also seem to have an issue with getting into the lower compartment as well. Again, the handle seems to have to be pulled quite firmly to get the appropriate things to happen. Any clue why this happens or solutions to help? Thanks

BTW. this is on an '05 C230 kompressor

Old 03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

It's a known problem...it should be under warranty!!!

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, I was able to fix this myself. And not just by jiggling and forcing things. I figured out how the side hinges work and how they are meant to lock the pins out of the way when you have pressed the side latch. It would be somewhat difficult for me to describe here, but I think I could talk someone through it.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 PM

Any chance you can reveal the magic? I was reading this post this past week and lo and behold - I ended up with the same issue this weekend. Is that ironic?

If you think you can walk me through it I would be most appreciative. I have figured out to get the one side relocated and back on the pins but to get it to finally close just won't work.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jeff

Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM

Okay. I can try. The key for me was to realize that the spring loaded, curved arm/hinge (one on each side of the underside of the cover) actually interacts with the pins. So, I also had one side in to start. To get the other side, I believe I just needed to press the side button and move that hinge in to the position that it would be in if the cover was open. I think.

Try holding in the side button and moving the hinge into one position and see if the pins are now held "out of the way". If not, try holding in the side button and moving the hinge in the other direction. One or the other of these should cause the pins to be held all the way out of the way (retracted).

I believe that I did this as the cover was all the way open, and when I started to lower the cover down the hinge wanted to move and the pins came back out. So I had to do it again and this time had to hold it in position until the lid was all the way closed.

gosh, it all happened so fast, I'm not sure I remember all of it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Also, my theory as to why it got messed up in the first place is that either both buttons were pressed at the same time and the cover was lifted, or one of them was only partially pressed and the cover was somehow forced open. (It happened as two of us were trying to figure out how to open the arm-rest, since the vehicle was new to both of us). It seems that if we press the buttons firmly and with a crispness every time before trying to lift it, it doesn't have any issues.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Good morning! Thanks for the note. It turns out my gf and I stumbled upon exactly what you are talking about with the curved spring loaded hinge. I got the one side attached but the buttons are still not working. I told her that we'll have to find a way to hold that hinge in the open position to connect the second side. She noticed that if you push the hinge back and then hold the console button (even though it won't depress all the way) that the hinge will stay open while you try to attach the front and back pins.

We still haven't fixed it 100% but it will be a short process tonight.

If anyone has any issues with putting this top console back on please write. I think I can replicate the process here in words. Tricky - but definitely doable on your own.

God bless these forums!!!

Jeff

Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Here is what I did:

Its very tricky and it might not work right away. But here is what we did.[/align][/align]As you know the top part flips. And as such you should work on getting one side on first, and then the other. [/align][/align]First thing.....look at all the pieces you are dealing with.I think on the front (or is it the back??)of the detached center console piece (what you are holding in your hand) there are two black "prongs" that need to attach into something. There are also two hinge like devices towards the back as well. Take stock of all of these pieces and how they may fit together. Trust me - its important.[/align][/align]So pick a side you are comfortable with and start there. Place the prong from the top unit into the hole on the base (you will see where it goes). Next, push the black hinge on the inside of the top unit towards the roof of the top unit until it locks into place.....if it does not lock into place here is the secret: even though the release button you use to usually open the center console won't depress all the way, hold that button on the corresponding side you are trying to work. It will hold the hinge in the locked position. Once all depressed close the top unit into place and it should close and "hinge" on the side you just worked on. One side should now be back in place but the console won't close.[/align][/align]Now the second side. A little trickier because the black prong you started with can't be slid into the hole as per the first side. You need to work on the back hinge first (from what I remember). Use the same trick above with the hinge and the side button. Holdthe hinge in place with the button and snap the lid to the closed position. From there I was still stumped but all of a sudden when I let go of the button that tricky prong popped into the hole and i was done!![/align][/align]I really hope this helps....let me know if you have any issues![/align][/align]Jeff[/align]

Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Thank you all! I've been wrestling with this same problem and got as far as analyzing that with one side in place, I needed to hold the unattached hinge back and lower the lid but, of course, the hinge would snap closed ... I was now successful in reassembling the lid by holding the hinge back and depressing the same-side release button (does not depress very far) as I carefully lowered the lid, and "voila". I am most appreciative for all the helpful posts!

Old 12-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Default Thanks Folks

Hi, I just bought a 2006 C230 and it's my first Mercedes. The console cover was off and it was driving me nuts. Thanks for posting this, it really helped.

Quick Reply: C230 center console problem